- MSc. Applied Entomology(London)
- Diploma of the Imperial College
- BSc Hons Animal Science (UZ)
- Vector borne diseases of livestock – tsetse and trypanosomiasis control. – M the project seeks to study the behaviour of tsetse flies and their vectorial capacity in a changing invironment. The work is caried out in collaboration with the Tsetse Control Division http://www.moa.gov.zw/index.php/tsetse-control-division/
- Ethnoveterinary research – control of ticks and tickborne diseases using plant extracts. Developmental work to identify and isolate the active components of plants believed to have acaricidal value under the Indigenous Knowledge systems (IKS)
- BUSE Goat Breeding Project member – the project is working on developing ways to improve goat productivity in marginalized areas of Zimbabwe by developing a breeding programme that is ideal for low lying areas of the country.
- LIPS-Zim is a European Union funded project that aims to increase agricultural productivity in Zimbabwe’s semi-arid agro-ecological regions IV and V. It promotes increased adoption of climate relevant innovations in livestock-based production systems and improved surveillance and control of livestock diseases. 2020-2023 – LINK https://www.ilri.org/research/projects/livestock-production-systems-zimbabwe-lips-zim
Previous research projects
- “Human African Trypanosomiasis: alleviating the effects of climate change through understanding human-vector-parasite interactions” funded by WHO/TDR through the University of Stellenbosch – 2017
- Control of vector borne disease of livestock in West Nile Region, Uganda – 2015
- Technical support to SODA highfields
- Farmer training under LIPS-Zimbabwe
Recent publications (2010 to 2013):
- Cunningham LJ, Lingley JK, Tirados I, Esterhuizen J, Opiyo M, Mangwiro CTN, Mike J. Lehane, Stephen J. Torr. (2020) Evidence of the absence of human African trypanosomiasis in two northern districts of Uganda: Analyses of cattle, pigs and tsetse flies for the presence of Trypanosoma brucei gambiense. PLoS Negl Trop Dis 14(4): e0007737. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pntd.0007737
- Vanja Kovacic, Inaki Tirados, Johan Esterhuizen, Clement T. N. Mangwiro, Michael J. Lehane, Stephen J. Torr, Helen Smith (2016) We Remember… Elders’ Memories and Perceptions of Sleeping Sickness Control Interventions in West Nile, Uganda PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases. http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pntd.0004745
- Tirados I, Esterhuizen J, Kovacic V, Mangwiro TNC, Vale GA, Hastings I, et al. (2015) Tsetse Control and Gambian Sleeping Sickness; Implications for Control Strategy. PLoS Negl Trop Dis 9(8): e0003822. doi:10.1371/journal.pntd.0003822
- Alexandra P. M. Shaw, Inaki Tirados, Clement T. N. Mangwiro, Johan Esterhuizen, Michael J. Lehane, Stephen J. Torr, Vanja Kovacic (2015) Costs Of Using “Tiny Targets” to Control Glossina fuscipes fuscipes, a Vector of Gambiense Sleeping Sickness in Arua District of Uganda. PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases – Published on March 26, 2015 -I
- T.N. Mangwiro, M. Dhliwayo, T Tayengwa (2013). Non genetic factors affecting calf growth traits in Mashona cattle. Scientific Journal of Animal Science. Vol 2 (8) 222 – 227.
- Vale G.A.,Andrew Chamisa, Clement Mangwiro, Stephen Torr.(2013) A neglected aspect of the epidemiology of sleeping sickness: the propensity of the Tsetse fly vector to enter houses. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases Vol 7 Issue
- Torr SJ, Chamisa A, Mangwiro TNC, Vale GA (2012) Where, When and Why Do Tsetse Contact Humans? Answers from Studies in a National Park of Zimbabwe. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases. Vol 6 Issue (8)
- Torr, S.J., Mangwiro, T.N.C., & Hall, D.R. (2010). Shoo fly, don’t bother me! Efficacy of traditional methods of protecting livestock from tsetse. Medical and Veterinary Entomology. Vol 25 Issue 2
- Torr, S.J., Mangwiro, T.N.C., & Hall, D.R. (2006) The effects of host physiology on the attraction of tsetse (Diptera: Glossinidae) and Stomoxys (Diptera : Muscidae) to cattle. Bulletin of Entomological Research, 96, 71-84.
- Mireji P.O., Mabveni A.M., Dube B.N., Ogembo J.G., Matoka C.M. & Mangwiro T.N.C. (2003). Field responses of tsetse flies (Glossinidae) and other Diptera to oils in formulations of deltamethrin. Insect Science and its Applications, 23 no 4, 317-32.
- Torr, S.J., Wilson, P.J., Schofield, S., Mangwiro, T.N.C., Akber, S. & White, B.N. (2001) Application of DNA markers to identify the individual-specific hosts of tsetse feeding on cattle. Medical and Veterinary Entomology, 15, 78-86.
- Torr, S.J. & Mangwiro, T.N.C. (2000) Interaction between cattle and biting flies: effects on the feeding rate of tsetse. Medical and Veterinary Entomology, 14, 400-409.
- Mangwiro, T.N.C., Torr, S.J., Cox, J.R. & Holloway, M.T.P. (1999) The efficacy of various pyrethroid insecticides for use on odour-baited targets to control tsetse. Medical and Veterinary Entomology 13, 315-323
- Torr, S.J. and Mangwiro, T.N.C. Upwind flight of tsetse (Glossina spp) in responses to natural host odour in the field. Physiological Entomology (1996) 21, 143 – 150
- Torr, S.J, Mangwiro T.N.C and Hall, D.R. (1996). Responses of Glossina pallidipes (Diptera:Glossinidae) to Synthetic repellents in the field. Bulletin of Entomological Research. 86, 609 – 616.
Proceedings List: Conferences/Workshops/Symposia papers
- Kovacic V, Tirados, I, Esterhuizen Johan, Mangwiro C, Lehane M.J and Torr S.J. (2012). Tsetse Control Research Project, West Nile. HAT Task-Force Meeting, September 2012, Amuru District
- Esterhuizen, Johan, Tirados, I, Kovacic, V, Mangwiro C, Lehane, M.J. and Torr, S.J. Cost Efficient Control of tsetse flies. (2011). 24th International Congress of Entomology, August 19-25, 2012 in Daegu, S-Korea
- Torr, S.J, Prior A. Mangwiro T.N.C., Birgit van Munster & Kulanga C. The effects of livestock protection strategies for zero-grazed cattle. ICPTV
- Mangwiro, T.N.C. (2003) Draft Guidelines for conducting tsetse fly Field trials in Zimbabwe. Veterinary Consultative Meeting, St Lucia Training and Conference Centre, Marlborough, Harare. 25th April 2003.
- Torr, S.J., Prior A., Mangwiro, T.N.C. & Schofield, S. (2002) Selfish herds: Effects of livestock management practices on trypanosomiasis risk. British Society for Parasitology. Trypanosomiasis and Leishmaniosis Seminar, Edinburgh 8 – 11 September 2002.
- Mangwiro, T.N.C., Kindness, H.M., Torr, S.J, Hall, D.R. and Hargrove, J.W. Cattle Management Practices in Tsetse Infested Areas of Zimbabwe: Implications for Tsetse Control. 25th ISCTRC Mombasa, Kenya. 25 September – 2 October 1999.
- Torr, S.J., Wilson, P.J., Schofield, S., Mangwiro, T.N.C., The use of DNA microsatellites to identify the individual sources of bloodmeals in tsetse. 25th ISCTRC Mombasa, Kenya. 25 September – 2 October 1999.
- Mangwiro, T.N.C. and Wilson, A. (1993) The control of tsetse (Glossina spp) and trypanosomiasis by application of insecticides to cattle: An evaluation of deltamethrin Pour-on. 22nd ISCTRC Kampala,Uganda