Welcome to the Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities. Thank you for visiting our web page. The Faculty was established in 2014 and is comprised of 3 departments:
- Department of Social Work
- Department of Peace and Governance
- Department of Languages and Communication Skills
The Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities is a socially, intellectually and culturally diverse community of staff and students who value knowledge and the responsible interchange of ideas. Among other things, the faculty;
- fosters disciplinary and interdisciplinary work to address significant social issues;
- develops knowledge and engages in creative activities;
- seeks to understand local, national, global, cultural, political, and historical perspectives;
- critically interprets language and symbols in communication; thoroughly examines cultural multiple discourses; and
- promotes ethical reasoning and compassion.
- Students learn how to read and think analytically, solve problems creatively, work with diverse partners, communicate
- effectively in speech and writing, use technology wisely, and participate fully in civic life.
The Faculty trains social scientists for the government, non-governmental organisations and the private sector.
Research work within the Faculty assumes an Afro-centric approach. The Faculty is involved in community projects offering technical advice and training to members of the community in various areas. Members of staff are involved in social policy advocacy within government and non government agencies.
Our vision is to be a faculty of excellence in teaching, community service and research in the fields of social sciences imparting learning, skills and values for the promotion and development of Zimbabwe and the World.
The Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities is committed to offering high quality programmes and strives to recruit and produce scholars in the field of social sciences and humanities. We are committed to contribute to the well-being of the society and the improvement of the quality of the environment through social sciences teaching, learning and research. It seeks to contribute to the advancement of multidisciplinary research that will enhance the development of the nation and the region at large and to provide an environment where quality teaching and research in social sciences and humanities can flourish. It endeavours to be hub of knowledge and a beacon of excellence to pursue and create opportunities to render social sciences service to the university and the surrounding communities.