Department Chairperson – Dr. Admore Mureva
The Department of Natural Resources was introduced in 2000. It was the first department to form what is currently known as the Faculty of Agriculture and Environmental Science. Department of Natural Resources strives to be a centre of excellence in natural resources research, training and extension. As educators and researchers with broad concerns about the future of the earth, and concerns about the multiple aspects of human/society/nature interactions, the departmental values are centered on a commitment to the stewardship of nature. The Department boasts of a high number of students, both undergraduate and postgraduate as well as competent academic and support staff. Department of Natural Resources has three Units: Forestry, Natural Resources Management and Wildlife.
Natural Resources provides strong preparation for employment in natural resource fields through science training focusing on reasoning, analysis and management skills that involve natural processes and in-depth training in theory and practice.
The department‘s Vision and Mission are in line with the University and Faculty of Agriculture and Environmental Science. By subscribing to the general principles of Bindura University of Science Education Vision and Mission, the department is similarly committed to upholding its core values.
- To coordinate instruction, research and extension initiatives in environmental sciences as well as provide mechanisms for linking up these initiatives with global and regional environmental programmes.
- To serve as an institutional space that would coordinate environmental sciences with other existing programmes.
- To create a network that cooperatively promotes the advancement of environmental education in all levels and sectors.
- To provide a home for student organizations and activities that promotes environmental initiatives locally, nationally and internationally.
- To develop collaborative activities leading towards the sustainable management of the country’s natural resources.