Dr CT Gadzirayi – Department Chairperson
The Department of Agricultural Economics, Education and Extension was established in 2012 and evolved from the former Agricultural Education and Extension unit in the now defunct Department of Agriculture. Currently the Department houses the following programmes which are offered under conventional or block release arrangements: – Bachelor of Agricultural Science Honours Degree (Agricultural Economics and Management), Bachelor of Agricultural Science Honours Degree (Agricultural Education and Extension) as well as Diploma in Agricultural Practice. In the near future, the Department will also offer postgraduate programmes in sustainable agriculture, rural development and food security.
The department also offers tailor-made short training courses in farm business management, agribusiness and entrepreneurship development, computerised data analysis as well as farm machinery maintenance to targeted groups such as farmers, agribusiness entrepreneurs and rural development practitioners. In addition, the department is running associateship programmes with Chaminuka Technical College (Diploma in Agriculture and Diploma in Horticulture) and Shamva Agricultural College. Plans are also at an advanced stage for an associateship with Fambidzanayi Permaculture Centre and Magamba Training Centre.
To develop competent agricultural scientists and practitioners who are capable of applying sound scientific principles in knowledge generation and management for sustainable agriculture.
- To expose students to scientific principles and practices of agriculture.
- To develop and foster among students, the attitude of sustainable agriculture.
- To provide students with hands-on experience in agriculture.
Employment Opportunities for Graduates
- Formal and informal employment opportunities exist in the public and private sectors. These include but are not limited to the following:
- Government departments
- Non-governmental organizations
- Private agribusiness entrepreneurship ventures/projects
- Financial institutions
- Teaching and research in universities, colleges and schools
- Private consultancy in research, training and advisory services
Undergraduate Programmes on Offer
Current Research and Extension Themes
- Evaluation of conservation agriculture technologies
- Integration of ICT technologies in agricultural market intelligence
- Evaluation of floating trays technology in tobacco nurseries
- Alternative marketing strategies for organic farmers
- Farm machinery operation and maintenance training
- Agribusiness, entrepreneurship development and data management training
Dr Emmanuel Zivenge
Dr. Lovemore Musemwa
Dr R Chivheya
Mr Vincent Tinashe Munyati
Mr Ignatius Govere
Miss Patricia Matsika
Mr Never Mafuse
Miss Dadirayi Manyumwa
Mr J Chimvuramahwe
Technical and Administrative Staff
- Mr. T Mudapakati (Technician), BSc Agricultural Science Honours Degree (Agricultural Education and Extension, BUSE; Diploma in Agriculture, Gwebi
- Mrs Georgina Chitungo (Secretary)