The Department of Languages and Communication Skills offers a Communication Skills course which is designed to address areas that are critical for students’ effective interaction in both the academic scene and the practical world of industry and commerce. The course aims to prepare students for efficient delivery of service in their subsequent careers.
This course aims at:
- Equipping students with the necessary knowledge, study skills and attitudes to enable them to interact effectively and perform with excellence, both during their time at university and throughout their subsequent careers;
- Inculcate in students the need to plan and organize their own learning effectively, manage their time productively, balancing their academic studies with recreation;
- Access information from books, the internet and other sources efficiently;
- Develop the four basic communication skills namely listening, speaking, reading and writing;
- Develop students’ awareness of communication skills in the academic sphere, and to increase the students’ confidence and competence in their own communication.
The Department of Languages and Communication Skills endeavours to promote human development through effective communication.
The Department of Languages and Communication Skills seeks to inculcate effective language of communication skills for practical application in academic research, community engagement and the 21st century workplace.