Dr. David Makwerere – Department Chairperson
The Department of Peace and Governance aims to develop accomplished products who are equipped with innovative knowledge, skills, and competencies to make an impact in a globalized community. The Department of Peace and Governance strives to nurture tolerance, reverence, sensitivity and acceptance of differences in human society and is committed to peace, social justice, inclusivity, transparency, accountability, equity and human rights for all.
Our vision is to be an eminent department offering high quality peace and governance academic products, capacity-building programmes and innovative solutions for a peaceful and thriving society.
To deliver world-class teaching, training, capacity building, research and innovation needed for the advancement of sustainable peace, strategic leadership, and good governance for social justice and sustainable development.
- Humanity – We thrive on human-centred teaching, research and programming. The basis of our operations is to nurture human development in all its dimensions.
- Accountability – We endeavour to be accountable to our primary stakeholders and secondary stakeholders including funding partners.
- Transparency – We are committed to working transparently. All issues relating to conflict of interest shall be declared at all times.
- Student Centeredness – We thrive to promote and maintain a student-centred approach to instructional processes, learning experiences, and academic support strategies.
- Gender-Sensitivity – A society with gender-sensitive learning, research and capacity development initiatives will certainly have more sustainable transformative outcomes anchored on equality and equity.
- Reflective Learning – We believe learning is transformational and that any transformation should provide for reflective learning, building on lessons learnt whilst also finding new solutions for models, policies and theories that would have failed to achieve intended objectives.