- Diploma in Theology and Religious Studies, AFM Theological Seminary (2020)
- PhD in International Relations, Rhodes University, South Africa (2017).
Research Topic: ‘Chinese aid and African agency since 2000: examining the cases of Zimbabwe, Angola and Ghana’.
- Master of Science Degree in International Relations-University of Zimbabwe (Merit: 2010).
- Bachelor of Science Honours Degree in Political Science-University of Zimbabwe (Upper Second: 2007).
Position: Lecturer, Department of Peace and Governance
Phone: +263 773 244 767
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Africa-China engagements, African agency in International Relations
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles & Book Chapters
- Chipaike Ronald. (2012). The Libya crisis: The militarisation of the New Scramble and More. International Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences (IJHSS). Vol 2 (8), page 43-48. http://www.ijhssnet.com/journals/Vol_2_No_8_Special_Issue_April_2012/5.pdf
- Chipaike Ronald. (2012). Zimbabwe’s economic empowerment initiatives: A critical review. In Maruta S (ed) Sustainable peace and development at community level: beneficiaries are actors too (117-137), Harare: Southern Institute of Peace-building and Development
- Makwerere David and Chipaike Ronald. (2012). China and United States of America in Africa: A New Scramble or A New Cold War? International Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences (IJHSS). Vol 2 (17), pp 311-319. http://www.ijhssnet.com/view.php?u=http://www.ijhssnet.com/journals/Vol_2_No_17_September_2012/35.pdf
- Dodo Obediah, Chipaike Ronald, Ngwerume Emmaculate and Chigondo Etiya. (2012). Four Years into Zimbabwe’s Government of National Unity: Assessing the challenges and successes from the Civil Society’s perspective. LWATI: A Journal of Contemporary Research, Vol 9 (3), pp 202-215. https://www.ajol.info/index.php/lwati/article/view/80984
- Chipaike Ronald. (2013).The Zimbabwe Government of National Unity as a Conflict Transformation mechanism: A critical review. Southern Peace Review Journal of the Southern Institute of Peace Building and Development (SIPD), Vol 2(1), pp 17-35,
- Chipaike Ronald and Mhandara Lawrence (2013). Evading Punishment: An analysis of China-Zimbabwe relations in an age of sanctions. In Mulugeta GB and Liu H (eds), China-Africa Relations: Governance, Peace and Security (pp 146-165). Addis Ababa: Institute of African Studies (Zhezhiang Normal University) and Institute for Peace and Security studies (Addis Ababa University). https://media.africaportal.org/documents/China_Africa_book_3.pdf
- Mhandara Lawrence and Chipaike Ronald (2013) .Chinese Investment in Africa: Opportunities and Challenges for Peace and Security in Zimbabwe. In Mulugeta GB and Liu H (eds), China-Africa Relations: Governance, Peace and Security (pp 211-226). Addis Ababa: Institute of African Studies (Zhezhiang Normal University) and Institute for Peace and Security studies (Addis Ababa University). https://media.africaportal.org/documents/China_Africa_book_3.pdf
- Matarutse Knowledge and Chipaike Ronald (2017). Impediments besetting the European Union (EU) – East and Southern Africa (ESA) negotiations for a transition from an interim Economic Partnership Agreement (iEPA) to a comprehensive EPA 2007-2014. South African Journal of International Affairs, 20 (3), 355-374. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10220461.2017.1382386
- Chipaike Ronald & Matarutse Knowledge (2018). Evaluating ZIMASSET: The need for Foreign Policy Reorientation and (Re) engagement of International Partners. International Journal of Social Sciences and Humanities Research, 6 (1), 1-12.
- Chipaike Ronald & Matarutse Knowledge (2018). South-South Cooperation and Africa’s Economic Development: The Case of FOCAC. International Journal of Social Sciences and Humanities Research, 6 (2), 822-833.
- Chipaike Ronald & Bischoff Paul-Henri (2018). A challenge to conventional wisdom: Locating agency in Angola and Ghana’s economic engagements with China. Journal of Asian and African Studies, 53 (7), 1-16. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0021909618763922
- Chipaike Ronald & Matarutse Knowledge (2018). The Question of African Agency in International Relations. Cogent Social Sciences, 4 (1487257), 1-16. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/23311886.2018.1487257
- Chipaike Ronald & Bischoff Paul-Henri (2019). Chinese engagement of Zimbabwe and the limits of elite agency. Journal of Asian and African Studies, 54 (7), 947-964. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/0021909619848783
- Chipaike Ronald, Tshuma Nduduzo & Hofisi Sharon (2019). African Move to Withdraw from the ICC: Assessment of issues and implications. Indian Quarterly, 75 (3), 1-17. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0974928419860918
- Chipaike Ronald & Marufu Eugenia (2020) Chinese Construction Companies and the Question of Labour Rights in Zimbabwe. Journal of Asian and African Studies, 0 (00), 1-13. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0021909620912777
- Mafuta Wonder, Zuvarimwe Jethro, Kamuzhanje Joseph, Mwale Marizvikuru& Chipaike Ronald (2020). Sustainable Conflict Resolution through Community Based Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Planning in Fragile and Conflict Situations: The Case of Somalia. Journal of Asian and African Studies, 0(00), 1-12. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0021909620928104
- Chipaike, R (2016, June 26) ‘Brexit: Implications for Africa and Zimbabwe’. Sunday Mail. Available at http://www.sundaymail.co.zw/brexit-implications-for-africa-and-zim/
- Chipaike, R (2016, June 21) ‘Africa’s Engagement with China’. Chronicle. Available at http://www.chronicle.co.zw/africas-engagement-with-china/
- Chipaike, R (2016, November 28) ‘Trump victory: possible implications for Africa’. Chronicle. Available at http://www.chronicle.co.zw/trump-victory-possible-implications-for-africa/
- Chipaike, R (2017, May 25) ‘Africa at 54: achievements, prospects and challenges’. Daily News.
- Chipaike, R (2017, November 12) ‘China and the West in Zimbabwe: Continuity and competition’. Sunday News. Available at http://www.sundaynews.co.zw/china-and-the-west-in-zimbabwe-continuity-and-competition/
- Chipaike, R (2018, June 10) ‘Africa at 55: Remember nothing is for free, even from the Chinese!’ Daily News.
- ‘Zimbabwe’s economic empowerment initiatives: A critical review’. Paper presented at the International Symposium on Community-driven-Peace Building and Development, Harare, Zimbabwe, 20-21 October 2011.
- ‘Evading punishment: An analysis of China-Zimbabwe relations in an age of sanctions’. Paper presented at the China Africa Think Tanks Forum held in Bishoftu town, Ethiopia, 12-13 October 2012
- ‘An analysis of the impact of China-Africa relations on human security: the case of Zimbabwe (2000-2012)’. Paper presented at the China-Africa symposium, Harare 22-24 October 2013.
- ‘Human insecurity in Africa and the lure of the European paradise: analysing the African Union’s response to the “illegal” migration problem’. Paper presented at the International-Africa Peace and Security Education Conference, Bindura, Zimbabwe, 2-3 July 2015.
- ‘The Case for Afro-Centred International Relations Theory in the African University’. Paper presented at the UNISA-UZ Second Political Science Colloquium, Harare, Zimbabwe, 28 August 2015.
- ‘All weather friend or economic saviour: representations of China in Zimbabwe’s public media since 2003′. Paper accepted for conference entitled “Building Images: Exploring 21st century Sino-African dynamics through cultural exchange, media representation and translation’, University of Nottingham, UK, 14-16 January 2016.
- ‘Shortcomings of state based agency in Zimbabwe’s development assistance relations with China’. Paper presented at the Yale Africa-China Conference in Lagos, Nigeria, 15-18 March 2016.
- ‘The Question of African Agency in International Relations’. Paper accepted for African Studies Association of Africa (ASAA) 2nd Biennial Conference, University of Ghana, Legon, 12-14 October 2017.
- ‘Agency at the margins: Zimbabwe’s economic engagement with China since 2000’. Paper presented at the ‘Chinese in Africa/Africans in China Research Network (CA/AC)’ conference entitled ‘”China-Africa” in Global Perspective’, held at Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium, 27-29 June 2018.
Related Career Activities
- Qualifications assessor and programmes reviewer: Zimbabwe Council of Higher Education (ZIMCHE).
- Article reviewer for the following Journals:
- International Relations and Diplomacy
- Third World Quarterly (Taylor and Francis)
- Asian Ethnicity (Taylor and Francis)
- Journal of African Foreign Affairs
- International Journal of Academic Library and Information Science
- African Journal of Political Science and International Relations
- Journal of Asian and African Studies (Sage)
- Member-Chinese in Africa and Africans in China (CA/AC) network