- Doctor of Philosophy in Management Sciences- Public Administration, Durban University of Technology, South Africa – April 2017
- Masters in Peace and Governance, Africa University- June 2009
- Bachelor of Social Science Special Honours in Monitoring and Evaluation – Lupane, State University – August 2020
- Bachelor of Science in Counselling, Zimbabwe Open University – 2006
- Diploma in Education University of Zimbabwe- December 1998
- Professional Certificate in Peacebuilding and Development Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand, September 2018
- Mediation and Consensus-Based Negotiation Institute of Peace, Leadership and Governance, Africa University, November 2016
- Executive Certificate in Security Sector Governance, University of Witwatersrand, South Africa – June 2014
Department: Peace and Governance
Cell:+263 772 596 562 / +263 732 584 222
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Civil Society, peace building and development, social justice, monitoring and evaluation.
Short Courses Attended
- Alternative to Violence Program (AVP) Trainer of Facilitators Certificate – KwaZulu Natal Network- May 2014.
- Alternative to Violence Program (AVP) Level 2 – KwaZulu Natal Network- March 2014.
- Alternative to Violence Program (AVP) Level 1 – KwaZulu Natal Network – January 2014.
- Certificate in Conflict Analysis and Intervention – Africa University Institute of Peace Leadership and Governance- 2008.
- Certificate in Sports Administration-Mutare West Sports Association- 2002.
- Certificate in Soccer Referring (preliminary) – ZSRA, 2002.
Research publications in refereed journals
- Makwerere, D., Chinzete, G.T., and Massimo, C. (2018) Accessing good quality water in hazardous mining environments: coping mechanisms for young women in selected districts of Mashonaland central, Zimbabwe, DOI:https://dx.doi.org/10.4314/gjpas.v24i2.8, pp 180-189.
- Katiza, A., Makwerere, D. and Dube, D. (2016) Parental Influence on Pupil’s Conflict Responses: A Case Study of Tangenhamo Secondary School in Mount Darwin District, Mashonaland Central, Zimbabwe, Dande Journal Vol 1(2).
- Massimo, C. and Makwerere, D. Civil Society Participation in Human Rights Related Public Policy in Zimbabwe, Journal of Public Policy in Africa, Africa University, 2015.
- Muropa, B.C., Kusure, L.P. and Makwerere, D., Kasowe and Muropa, Z. Hunhu/Ubuntu and its relationship to civics and citizenship education, JETERAPS (August 2013) 4(4): pp 658-661.
- Dodo, O., Makwerere, D., Matavire, M., and Parwada, C. An analysis of challenges faced by students learning in virtual and open distance learning system: A case of Bindura University of Science Education (BUSE), Educational Research and Review, Vol 8, June 2013, pp 700-707.
- Makwerere, D and Mandoga, E. (2012) Rethinking traditional institutions of conflict resolution and justice in post 2000 Zimbabwe. International Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences Tomorrow Vol 1 No 4 June 2012 pp 1-8.
- Makwerere, D and Chipaike, R. (2012) China and America in Africa: A new cold war or a new scramble? International Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences Vol 2 September 2012 pp 311-319.
- Makwerere, D., Chinzete, G.T. and Musorowegomo, C. (2012) Policing and Human Rights: A case study of Zimbabwe Vol 2 (17) September 2012, pp 129-138.
- Dube, D. and Makwerere, D. (2012) Zimbabwe: Towards a comprehensive peace infrastructure. International Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences, Vol 2(18) pp 297-307.
- Makwerere, D. and Mandoga, E. Challenges and Opportunities in developing football as a vehicle for peacebuilding in Zimbabwe, International Journal of Current Research; Vol 4 (12) December 2012 pp 32-39.
- Dodo, O., Nyoni, C. and Makwerere, D. Silence as an endogenous mode of postconflict healing and reconciliation: Zimbabwe post 2008 election violence, International Journal of Politics and Good Governance, Vol 3, No 3.4 Quarter iv 2012, pp 1-17.
Publications in non-refereed journals
- Makwerere, D. (2020) “The forgotten constituency”: Making a case for digital rights for prisoners in Zimbabwe during and beyond COVID-19, Association of Progressive Communications, https://www.apc.org/en/pubs/forgotten-constituency-making-case-digital-rights-prisoners-zimbabwe-during-and-beyond-covid-19.
- Makwerere, D. (2018) Consolidating Global Social Solidarity Through Peace Fellowship, Rotary Peace Center at Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand, https://rotarypeacechula.wordpress.com/2018/07/30/consolidating-global-social-solidarity-through-peace-fellowship/
- Makwerere, D. (2015) Post-Colonial Land Disputes in Africa, Drums of Change, https://www.actionsupportcentre.co.za/post-colonial-land-disputes-in-africa/
- Makwerere, D. (2015) The Post-2015 Agenda meets AU Agenda 2063, Drums of Change, http://www.actionsupportcentre.co.za/drums-of-change/the-transformative-potential-of-the-post-2015-development-agenda/the-post-2015-agenda-meets-au-agenda-2063/
- Makwerere, D., Manyika, R.S., Mutinhima, M. and Saratiere, A.K. Non-Governmental Organisations and Culturally Sensitive Programming: Considerations in Rural Zimbabwe in Kurebwa, J. Understanding Gender in Africa (2020), IGI Publications.
- Makwerere, D. Democracy, Habermasian Sphere, Social media, and Youth Participation in Governance in Zimbabwe: Youth in Governance Processes in Africa (301218-042508) in Dodo, O. and Kurebwa, J. (2019) Participation of Young People in Governance in Africa.
- Makwerere, D. African Youth’s Democratic Rights Awareness and Participation in Continental Governance.: A Case Study of Zimbabwe (221218-081121) in Dodo, O. and Kurebwa, J. Participation of Participation of Young People in Governance in Africa.
- Makwerere, D. and Dube, D. Parental/Guardian Subsidisation of Extra Tuition and the Marginalisation of the Poor in Zimbabwe: Social Exclusion in the Education Sector in Zimbabwe (151118-094017) in a Book Project Titled ‘Social Equality and Education.
- Makwerere, D. and Chiwada, F. (2015) Indigenization and Economic Empowerment as a Tool for Conflict Transformation in Zimbabwe: Challenges and Opportunities in Development and Policy Practice: Making Use of Population Census Data, Harare: Institute of Development Administration.
- Makwerere, D., Manyani, A., and Mashanga, T. (2019) Heritage Studies Book Two (New Curriculum) Harare: Consultus Publishing Company.
- Makwerere, D., Manyani, A. and Mashanga, T. (In print) Heritage Studies Book 1, Harare: Consultus Publishing Company.
- D. Makwerere, 2018. Building Peace from the Ground Up: Paper presented a seminar themed Conflict and Peace: Peace beyond Borders, at the Rotary Peace Centre at Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand, 31 August 2018
- D. Makwerere, 2015. Situating Regional Economic Communities (RECs) and border management within the African Union (AU) framework: The case of SADC. Paper presented at the 2nd Colloquium on African Borders in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, 27-28 October 2015.
- D. Makwerere and Chiwada, F. 2015. Challenges and Opportunities for the National Peace and Reconciliation Commission in Zimbabwe. Paper presented at the 1st International Africa Peace and Security Education Conference held at Bindura University, 2015.
Research Grants Awarded
- Awarded The Raoul Wallenberg Institute of Human Rights and Humanitarian Law Research Grant for a study titled “Grassroots Women Participation in Local Governance Processes in Zimbabwe: Towards A Human Rights-Based Approach to Development” in partnership with the Girls and Women Empowerment Network (GWEN) Trust. Year Awarded- 2020