Qualifications and Experience
The applicants must have:
- A minimum qualification of a Master’s degree in Sports Management or Sports Science or Management Sciences or their equivalent;
- Previous experience in a high-performance Sports Academy/Elite Sports Club/University/National Sports Association/ International Sports Federation/Olympic Movement/ Government-related sports development or policy-making entity in a middle or senior managerial role for at least ten (10) years;
- In-depth understanding of scientific talent Identification and Long-Term Athlete Development approaches;
- In-depth understanding of national and international sports operations, policies, rules and regulations;
- Strong interpersonal, marketing, strategic management, innovation and business development skills;
- Proven ability to mobilize funds.
Duties and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Provide overall strategic leadership, direction and management to the National Sports Academy;
- Develop strategic and business plans including annual work plans, budgets, and performance targets for the Academy for the approval of the Board in line with the University guidelines;
- Contribute towards the marketing of the Academy programmes to industry and commerce, Government agencies, schools and the general public throughout Zimbabwe, Africa and the world;
- Ensure that proper management, operational efficiency, corporate responsibilities and expectations are met;
- Promote both the University’s and National Sports Academy’s Vision, Mission and objectives;
- Properly direct, and manage the staff, property, equipment and finances of the Academy;
- Develop and manage the Sports Academy by ensuring a wide range of organized activities are on offer;
- Ensure that proper governance structures that promote best practices in sport development are put in place at the Academy;
- Develop and implement a clear sport development programme that will lead to sporting excellence at Olympic level as well as other international competitions;
- Provide support for national sports programmes through the Academy;
- Develop collaboration and strategic partnerships with sports organizations (Sports and Recreation Commission, Zimbabwe Olympic Committee and National Sports Associations, institutions, corporate world and Government agencies;
- Undertake fundraising activities to support the Academy programmes and new initiatives;
- Contribute to the evolution and maintenance of a comprehensive National Sports Academy programme;
- Engage in outreach programmes by involving community programmes both at micro and macro levels;
- Identify talent at district, provincial and national levels and;
- Ensure compliance with the National Sports Strategy.
Skills and Attributes
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- In-depth understanding of sports association rules and regulations;
- Knowledge of sport;
- Strong analytical, administrative and problem-solving skills;
- Ability to motivate and inspire;
- Commitment to a healthy lifestyle.
Interested and qualified persons should send one set of their applications merged in continuous PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org consisting of the following: – application letter, certified copies of Educational certificates, National ID, Birth Certificate and CVs giving full personal particulars including full name, place and date of birth, qualifications, previous employment and experience, present salary, date of availability, telephone number, email address, names and addresses of three referees including email addresses.
For more details, kindly visit our website at www.buse.ac.zw/vacancies
Applications should clearly indicate the “Post” which is being applied for in the subject line and addressed to:
The Deputy Registrar- Human Resources and Administration
Bindura University of Science Education
P Bag 1020
Only shortlisted candidates will be responded to. Candidates who responded to our previous advert for Director, Sports Academy need not to re-apply. The closing date for receipt of applications will be Monday, 02 October 2023. For more information phone (066210) 7531-2, (066210) 842711 (066210) 6230.
“Promoting Science for Human Development