The Deputy Librarian is a member of the University’s Senior Management. The successful candidate will be expected to provide leadership in the adoption of appropriate Library Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) thereby ensuring that the Library remains relevant in support of Education 5.0.
In addition, applicants must have wide administrative experience in the areas of personnel and library management.
Qualifications and Experience
- Applicants must have at least a Masters’ Degree in Library and Information Science;
- First degree in Library and Information Science or its equivalent;
- At least five (5) years relevant post qualification work experience at a senior management position in an academic library;
- Evident knowledge and skills on the use of ICTs in academic library services provision is a prerequisite.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assumes direct responsibility for a variety of projects—operational and strategic, as developed and assigned.
- Develops, plans, organises, and evaluates, either directly or indirectly, the activities of the Library.
- Develops and presents recommendations on the formulation of Library policies and procedures based upon current and emerging trends in library operations.
- Provides leadership in identifying and implementing ICT services for the Library.
Specifically, the Deputy Librarian shall be responsible for leadership in the development and promotion of:
- Library Webpages;
- Library institutional repository;
- Digital Library;
- Library management system;
- Electronic information services;
- Champions information literacy skills training;
- Recommends technology-related and patron-related policies and procedures to the Librarian and advises on long-term needs in relation to these areas;
- Develops and directs the implementation of goals, objectives, policies, procedures, and work standards for the library, integrating use of technology and applying new techniques;
- Develops technology assessments and plans based on customer, library, and staff needs;
- Plans, organizes, coordinates, and supervises library staff and the functions of the library;
- Holds performance appraisal of staff;
- Assists in preparing the annual budget, particularly as it relates to Library IT services and needs;
- Coordinates new staff induction, support and development;
- Organises training of Library staff and patrons on new resources and emerging technologies;
- Participates in the preparation of statistical or narrative reports;
- Serves on interview panel with the Librarian to select staff;
- Contributes to the public relations activities on behalf of the Library;
- Serves as a member of University Committees as assigned;
- Performs any other duties as assigned by the Librarian.
NB: Female candidates are encouraged to apply. Police clearance is mandatory for successful candidates.
Interested and qualified persons should send one set of their application merged in continuous pdf format to firstname.lastname@example.org consisting of the following: application letter, certified copies of Educational certificates, National ID, Birth Certificate and CVs giving full personal particulars including full name, place and date of birth, qualifications, previous employment and experience, present salary, date of availability, telephone number, email address, names and addresses of three referees including email addresses. Applications should clearly indicate the “Post” which is being applied for in the subject line and addressed to:
The Deputy Registrar- Human Resources and Administration
Bindura University of Science Education
P Bag 1020
Only shortlisted candidates will be responded to. The closing date for the receipt of applications is Monday, 6 June 2022.
For more information phone (66210) 7531-2, 7622, 7623, 0772 154 882-9.