This position is supervised by the Deputy Librarian and may also take directions from the University Librarian. The incumbent belongs to a team of assistant librarians and sub-librarians which may sometimes include other library staff. The incumbent’s core responsibility is to guide the technological development of the libraries.
Qualifications and Experience
Applicants must have a Bachelor of Science Degree in Library and Information Science or its equivalent and a Masters Degree in Library and information Science or its equivalent and at least four (4) years’ experience working in a library of which two years must be continuous work in an Academic or Research library.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Assistant Librarian: Digital and Scholarly Communications will support the creation and digitizing of the University’s intellectual output.
The incumbent will be responsible for:
- Spearheading the formulation and implementation of policies, procedures relating scholarly communications / digital scholarship programmes, processes and activities.
- Providing strategic maintenance and support for the Institutional Repository, Digital Library and Online Journal Platforms.
- Providing strategic support for the setting up and management of the University’s online journal systems.
- Developing, identifying and managing services and programmes related to research visibility, open science, open licensing, open access and related digital scholarship and scholarly communications initiatives.
- Providing digital scholarship and scholarly communications research consultations and instruction services for patrons.
- Developing and delivering digital scholarship and research support services using library-supported software platforms.
- Supporting research support throughout the research cycle through identification and provision of support or expertise.
Justification for the Post
- The person will provide leadership responsibility for development and management of the Institutional Repository that hosts the University’s research output and the Digital Library that hosts past examination papers and dissertations.
- The incumbent will be the University’s journals’ manager providing technical support in publishing, digitization and archiving content on online journal systems at the University.
Interested and qualified persons should send one set of their application merged in continuous pdf format to firstname.lastname@example.org consisting of the application letter, certified copies of educational certificates, transcripts, National ID, Birth Certificate and a Curriculum Vitae giving full personal details including full names, place and date of birth, qualifications, previous employment and experience, telephone number, present salary, date of availability, names, e-mail addresses and telephone numbers of at least three referees.
Applications should clearly indicate the “Post” which is being applied for in the subject line and addressed to:
The Assistant Registrar-Human Resources
Bindura University of Science Education
P Bag 1020
Only shortlisted candidates will be responded to. The closing date for the receipt of applications is Monday, 24 July 2023.
For more information phone (66210) 7531-2 7622, 7623, 0772 154 882-9
“Promoting Science for Human Development”