About the University
Bindura University of Science Education was established in February 2020 through an Act of Parliament Chapter 25:22. The University is situated in the capital of the mineral and agricultural rich Mashonaland Central province, ninety (90) km from Harare.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified and experienced candidates to fill the post of University Librarian. The University Librarian is a Principal Officer of the University and shall be responsible to the Vice Chancellor. The University Librarian shall contribute towards the attainment of the University’s vision of being an internationally renowned institution producing transformative and innovative graduates. The University Librarian shall be responsible for the operational, strategic, fiscal and overall administration of the University Library and information services for the entire University community.
The ideal candidate must be:-
- A visionary and experienced leader who ensures that the University Library contributes to the attainment of the University’s vision, aspirations and six (6) strategic directives;
- Able to deal with diverse stakeholders, fostering inclusivity in an increasingly networked information environment; and
- Able to demonstrate successful fundraising techniques in obtaining grants.
The ideal candidate must have the following qualifications and attributes:
- A Masters’ degree in Library and Information Science or a related degree. An earned PhD would be an added advantage;
- At least five (5) years relevant post qualification managerial experience in a University Library or a Library of an equivalent standing;
- Highly innovative and have the ability to change systems;
- Agility in information systems, high computer literacy, familiarity with the use of databases, strong ICT skills and experience in using ICT technology to enhance library services; and
- Have experience of working in multi-cultural and diverse environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Overseeing the University Library’s digital and physical facilities and providing access to virtual and physical resources and services;
- Developing a seamless library system (fusing traditional roles with technology) that will integrate all types of information and add value to teaching, learning and research support services;
- Making information available to the University Community in diverse forms on topical national and global issues and individuals research information needs;
- Providing optimal customer service to users not physically contained within the four walls of the library;
- Working closely and in partnership and collaboration with the ICT Department, Faculties, Departments and researchers to prioritise and focus on key trends in library science, evaluating emerging technologies and future library developments;
- Developing suitable training material on relevant library services including e-library and electronic and print media to meet the ever changing taste of library users;
- Ensuring adherence to the Library policies and procedures;
- Coordinating the budget preparation process and extending fiscal control over approved library budgets;
- Recruiting, managing and leading Library staff by coordinating and evaluating their performance on an annual basis including instituting professional development opportunities;
- Serving as an ambassador of the Library by developing partnerships and links with other Libraries nationally through the Zimbabwe Universities Library Consortium (ZULC), regionally and internationally;
- Actively participating in working groups and attending University Committees such as Senate and Library Committee;
- Performing any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Applications should be submitted in PDF Format to the email@example.com. Applications should include an Application letter, certified copies of Educational Certificates, National ID, Birth Certificate and Curriculum Vitae giving full personal particulars including full name, place and date of birth, qualifications, previous employment and working experience, present salary, date of availability, telephone number, email address, names and addresses of three (3) referees including email addresses.
Applications should be clearly indicated “University Librarian” and submitted to:
Bindura University of Science Education
P Bag 1020
Only shortlisted candidates will be responded to. The closing date for applications is Friday 30 October 2020. For more information phone (0271) 7531-2, 842711 (066210) 6230.
“Promoting Science for Human Development”