The Clerk of Works is responsible for ensuring adherence to building standards and project specification. The ideal candidate shall report to the Director of Works and Estates assist in ensuring that all construction contracts and project management controls and standards are followed. He/she carries out the valuation of construction works and coordination of project teams.
Qualifications and experience
Applicants must have at least a BSc in Quantity Surveying and at least three (3) years post qualification working experience in construction projects. Computer literacy in WinQs and Ms project and Excel is a must. Applicants must be mature, prepared to work under pressure with minimal supervision, should be able to work with diverse professional consultants and contractors.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Carrying out study project drawings and specifications checking for errors and discrepancies in the drawings and specifications and report to the Director of Works and Estates;
- He/she should inform the Director of Works and Estates of non-conforming works and of problems arising and possible remedial action required;
- Assisting the Director of Works and Estates in project initiation by preparing project costs or budget estimates (BOQ, cash flow projections etc.), programme of works among other necessary project documents;
- Assisting the Procurement Management Unit in carrying out all procurement needs for the project and ensure that all needed materials are timely delivered to site;
- Carrying out thorough regular site/work inspections and be able to detect workmanship and materials that do not conform to the contract standards;
- Such site visits/inspections must be coordinated in terms of frequency to occur at times offering the most benefit to the control and quality of the works;
- Carrying out work measurements during such visits/inspections, recording actual progress against the approved works programme and advise the Director of Works and Estates accordingly;
- Evaluating submitted claims (by contractors, subcontractors, casual labour etc.) and initiate payment process for certified work;
- Ensuring that tests are carried out in accordance with the contracts specification;
- Ensuring that Health and Safety regulations are observed onsite as per relevant statutory requirements and
- Carrying out detailed reporting and recording keeping on a regular basis.
Six (6) copies of the following: application letter, certified copies of Educational certificates, National ID, Birth Certificate and CVs giving full personal particulars including full name, place and date of birth, qualifications, previous employment and experience, present salary, date of availability, telephone number, email address, names and addresses of three referees including email addresses. Applications should clearly indicate the “Post” which is being applied for and submitted to:
Senior Assistant Registrar, Human Resources
Bindura University of Science Education
P Bag 1020
Only shortlisted candidates will be responded to. The closing date shall be Wednesday, 12 February 2020. For more information phone (0271) 7531-2, 7622, 7623, 0772 154 882-9.
“Promoting Science for Human Development”