- 2021- Present, PhD in Optometry Candidate: University of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
- 2020- Present, Research Associate: Deafblind International (DbI), Switzerland
- 2018-2020, Master of Optometry (Research): University of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
- 2010-2016, Doctor of Optometry: University of Cape Coast, Ghana
- 2010-2014, BSc Ophthalmic Science: University of Cape Coast, Ghana
- Low Vision and rehabilitation;
- Clinical optometry;
- Visual Optics;
- Vision and visual function.
Publications (Peer Reviewed)
- Kwarteng MA, Mashige KP, Kovin KS, Boadi-Kusi SB, Govender P. The prevalence and causes of low vision and blindness among learners at the Akropong School for the Blind, Ghana. AVEH. 2021 In press
- Kyei S, Obeng PA, Kwarteng MA, Assiamah F. Epidemiology and clinical presentation of glaucoma in a referral facility in Ghana: any lessons for public health intervention? PlosOne. 2021; 16(1):e0245486
- Kyei S, Zaabaar E, Assiamah F, Kwarteng MA, Asiedu K. Comparison of the outcomes of manual small incision cataract surgery (MSICS) and phacoemulsification (PHACO): a study in Ghana. Annals Afr Surg. 2021. https://www.annalsofafricansurgery.com/outcomes-msics-phacoemulsification
- Kyei S, Owusu-Afriyie B, Tagoh S, Kwarteng MA, Nsiah P, Guramatunhu S. Clinical profile and sociodemographic characteristics of patients living with glaucoma and seeking care in a tertiary referral facility in Zimbabwe. Malawi Med J. 2021. Online first
- Kyei S, Assiamah F, Kwarteng MA, Ansah VK. Ocular biometry in an adult Ghanaian population. Kerala J Ophthalmol. 2020; 32(3): 252-257.
- Kyei S, Gboglu CP, Kwarteng MA, Assiamah F. Comparative assessment of the Goldmannapplanation and non-contact tonometers in intraocular pressure measurements in a sample of glaucoma patients in the Cape Coast Metropolis, Ghana. Nigeria Med J. 2020; 61(6): 323-327.
- Tagoh S, Kyei S, Kwarteng MA, Aboagye E. Prevalence of refractive error and visual impairment among rural dwellers in Mashonaland Central province, Zimbabwe. J CurrOphthalmol. 2020; 32(4): 402-407.
- Kyei S, Aberor J, Assiamah F, Kwarteng MA. Optical Coherence Tomography indices in the diagnosis and discrimination of stages of Primary Open-angle glaucoma in an African population. IntOphthalmol. 2020. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10792-020-01652-6
- Kyei S, Assiamah F, Kwarteng MA, Gboglu CP. The association of central corneal thickness and intraocular pressure measures by Non-contact tonometry and Goldmann applanation tonometry among glaucoma patients. Ethiop J Health Sci. 2020; 30(6): 999-1004.
- Boadi-Kusi SB, Kwarteng MA, Asubonteng E. Development and Validation of the Minnesota Low Vision Reading Test (MNread) Acuity Chart for the Asante Twi language. Afri Health Sci. 2019; 19 (4): 2945-2953.
- Kyei S, Appiah E, Ayerakwa AE, Antwi BC, Kwarteng AM. Topical Ocular AnaestheticsHarbours Clinically Important Microbes. J Niger Optom Assoc. 2019; 21(1): 11-18.
Published Abstracts/ Conference Presentations
- Hayford-Mbrah G, Kwarteng MA, Kumah DB, Antwi-Adjei E. Correlation between Age, Body Mass Index, Blood Pressure, and Intraocular Pressure. COBREG. November 2020. Virtual Conference.
Awards / Grants
- 2020: African Researchers’ Initiative (ARI) research grant, Deafblind International (DbI).
- 2018: College of Health Science Masters/PhD Scholarship. University of KwaZulu-Natal.
Research Institute Affiliation(s)
- 2020 – Present: African Researchers’ Initiative, Deafblind International (DbI), Switzerland.
- 2018 – Present: Africa Vision Research Institute (AVRI), South Africa.
- Reviewer: African Vision and Eye Health Journal
- 2019 – Present: Board Member, Oli Best Road Safety Organization, Ghana.
- 2019 – Present: Senior Administrator, Oli Best Road Safety Organization, Ghana.