Dr. Michael Agyemang Kwarteng
- Email: email@example.com
- Email2: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel: +263788443782
- WhatsApp: +233240358692
- 2021- Present, PhD in Optometry Candidate: University of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa.
- 2020- Present, Research Associate: Deafblind International (DbI), Switzerland.
- 2018-2020, Master of Optometry (Research): University of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa.
- 2010-2016, Doctor of Optometry: University of Cape Coast, Ghana.
- 2010-2014, BSc Ophthalmic Science: University of Cape Coast, Ghana
- Low Vision and rehabilitation;
- Clinical optometry;
- Visual Optics;
- Vision and Visual Function.
Publications (Peer Reviewed)
- Ezinne NE, Kwarteng MA, Ekemiri KK, Iroanachi I, Tagoh S, Ogbonna G, Mashige KP. Clinical profile of Primary Open Angle Glaucoma Patients at an Eye centre in Nigeria. J Curr Glaucoma Pract. 2023;17(3): 113-117.
- Kyei S, Kwarteng MA, Asare FA, Jemitara M, Mtuwa CN. Ocular Trauma among patients attending a Tertiary Teaching Hospital in Zimbabwe. Plos One. 2023; 18(10): e0292392.
- Evans JR, Gordon I, Azuara-Blanco A, Bowen M, Braithwaite T, Crosby-Nwaobi R, Gichuhi S, Hogg RE, Li T, Minogue V, Parker R, Rowe FJ, Shah A, Virgili G, Ramke J, Lawrenson JG, Cochrane Eyes and Vision Priority Setting Group Authorship. Identifying important questions for Cochrane systematic reviews in Eyes and Vision: report of a priority setting exercise. Cochrane Ev Synth. 2023; 1:e12014.
- Ezinne NE, Anayochukwu AE, Bhattarai D, Ekemiri KK, Aliah J, Kureem P, Kwarteng MA, Mashige KP, Osuagwu UL. Knowledge, Attitude and Perception of Optometrist in Trinidad and Tobago towards tele-optometry. Heliyon. 2023; e13686
- Ezinne NE, Shittu O, Ekemiri KK, Kwarteng MA, Tagoh S, Ogbonna G, Mashige KP. Visual Impairment and Blindness among Patients at Nigeria Army Eye Centre, Bonny Cantonment Lagos, Nigeria. Healthcare. 2022; 10: 2312.
- Kyei S, Tagoh S, Kwarteng MA, Aboagye E. Ophthalmic anthropometry among rural dwellers in Mashonaland Central Province, Zimbabwe. Rwanda J Med Health Sci. 2021: 4(1): 99-111
- Kwarteng MA, Mashige KP, Kyei S, Dogbe DSQ, Govender-Poonsamy P. Prevalence and causes of visual impairment amongst hearing impaired school-going children in Sub-Saharan Africa: a scoping review. Afri Health Sci. 2022: 22(4): 199-204
- Kwarteng MA, Katsvanga CC, Kyei S. Childhood vision impairment and refractive error in Zimbabwe: a hospital-based retrospective study. Ethiop J Health Sci. 2022; 32(4): 723-728.
- Peprah P, Kwarteng MA, Asiedu K, Agyemang-Duah W, Morgan AK, Gyimah AA. Self-reported symptoms of ocular allergy and its comorbid factors among residents living near a landfill site in Ghana. Int J Environ Health Res. 2022; DOI:10.1080/09603123.2022.2031912.
- Ramke J, Evans JR, Habtamu E, Mwangi N, Silva JC, Swenor BK, Congdon N, Faal HB, Foster A, Friedman DS, Gichuhi S, Jonas JB, Khaw PT, Kyari F, Murthy GVS, Wang N, Wong TY, Wormald R, Yusufu M, Taylor H, Resnikoff S, West SK, Burton MJ; Grand Challenges in Global Eye Health study group. Grand Challenges in global eye health: a global prioritisation process using Delphi method. Lancet Healthy Longev. 2022 Jan; 3(1): e31-e41.
- Kwarteng MA, Mashige KP, Naidoo KS, Boadi-Kusi SB, Govender-Poonsamy P. The prevalence and causes of low vision and blindness among learners at the Akropong School for the Blind, Ghana. Afr Vis Eye Health. 2021; 80:1; a611.
- Kyei S, Obeng PA, Kwarteng MA, Assiamah F. Epidemiology and clinical presentation of glaucoma in a referral facility in Ghana: any lessons for public health intervention? PlosOne. 2021; 16(1):e0245486
- Kyei S, Zaabaar E, Assiamah F, Kwarteng MA, Asiedu K. Comparison of the outcomes of manual small incision cataract surgery (MSICS) and phacoemulsification (PHACO): a study in Ghana. Annals Afr Surg. 2021. https://www.annalsofafricansurgery.com/outcomes-msics-phacoemulsification
- Kyei S, Owusu-Afriyie B, Tagoh S, Kwarteng MA, Nsiah P, Guramatunhu S. Clinical profile and sociodemographic characteristics of patients living with glaucoma and seeking care in a tertiary referral facility in Zimbabwe. Malawi Med J. 2021. Online first
- Kyei S, Assiamah F, Kwarteng MA, Ansah VK. Ocular biometry in an adult Ghanaian population. Kerala J Ophthalmol. 2020; 32(3): 252-257.
- Kyei S, Gboglu CP, Kwarteng MA, Assiamah F. Comparative assessment of the Goldmann applanation and non-contact tonometers in intraocular pressure measurements in a sample of glaucoma patients in the Cape Coast Metropolis, Ghana. Nigeria Med J. 2020; 61(6): 323-327.
- Tagoh S, Kyei S, Kwarteng MA, Aboagye E. Prevalence of refractive error and visual impairment among rural dwellers in Mashonaland Central province, Zimbabwe. J Curr Ophthalmol. 2020; 32(4): 402-407.
- Kyei S, Aberor J, Assiamah F, Kwarteng MA. Optical Coherence Tomography indices in the diagnosis and discrimination of stages of Primary Open-angle glaucoma in an African population. Int Ophthalmol. 2020. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10792-020-01652-6
- Kyei S, Assiamah F, Kwarteng MA, Gboglu CP. The association of central corneal thickness and intraocular pressure measures by Non-contact tonometry and Goldmann applanation tonometry among glaucoma patients. Ethiop J Health Sci. 2020; 30(6): 999-1004.
- Boadi-Kusi SB, Kwarteng MA, Asubonteng E. Development and Validation of the Minnesota Low Vision Reading Test (MNread) Acuity Chart for the Asante Twi language. Afri Health Sci. 2019; 19 (4): 2945-2953.
- Kyei S, Appiah E, Ayerakwa AE, Antwi BC, Kwarteng AM. Topical Ocular Anaesthetics Harbours Clinically Important Microbes. J Niger Optom Assoc. 2019; 21(1): 11-18.
Published Abstracts / Conference Presentations
- Kwarteng MA, Munashe M. Prevalence and causes of vision impairment among drivers in Mashonaland Central Province, Zimbabwe. Research and Innovation Week, 12-14th July 2022, Bindura, Zimbabwe.
- Kwarteng MA, Mashige KP, Kyei S, Dogbe DSQ, Govender-Poonsamy P. Visual function among learners with hearing impairment in schools for the Deaf in Ghana. 1st Deafblind International Africa conference on Deafblindness. 12th-14th May 2022, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Kwarteng MA, Mashige KP, Kyei S, Dogbe DSQ, Govender-Poonsamy P. Prevalence and causes of visual impairment amongst hearing impaired schoolgoing children in sub-Saharan Africa: a scoping review. 1st Deafblind International Africa conference on Deafblindness. 12th-14th May 2022, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Tagoh S, Kyei S, Kwarteng MA, Aboagye E. Prevalence of refractive error and visual impairment among rural dwellers in Mashonaland Central province, Zimbabwe. 2nd National Congress, Pharmacy Council of Zimbabwe, Victoria Falls, 7-9th October 2021, Zimbabwe.
- Hayford-Mbrah G, Kwarteng MA, Kumah DB, Antwi-Adjei E. Correlation between Age, Body Mass Index, Blood Pressure, and Intraocular Pressure. COBREG. November 2020. Virtual Conference.
Awards and Grants
- 2023: Travel grant and 50% scholarship for course fees. Colour Vision Society, University of Oxford.
- 2022: College of Health Science PhD Scholarship. University of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa.
- 2022: Ghana Schools for the Deaf Project Grant. Vision Spring Africa.
- 2022: Travel Grant for 1st Deafblind International Africa Conference on Deafblindness, Nairobi, Kenya.
- 2021: Research and postgraduate centre research grant. Bindura University of Science Education, Zimbabwe.
- 2021: Travel Grant for 2nd National Congress, Pharmacy Council of Zimbabwe, Zimbabwe.
- 2020: African Researchers’ Initiative (ARI) research grant, Deafblind International (DbI).
- 2018: College of Health Science Masters/PhD Scholarship. University of KwaZulu-Natal.
Research Institute Affiliations
- 2020 – Present: African Researchers’ Initiative, Deafblind International (DbI), Switzerland.
- 2018 – Present: Africa Vision Research Institute (AVRI), South Africa.
- Reviewer: African Vision and Eye Health Journal
- 2019 – Present: Board Member, Oli Best Road Safety Organization, Ghana.
- 2019 – Present: Senior Administrator, Oli Best Road Safety Organization, Ghana.