Contact: 715 Popgum Road, Greenhill, Bindura, Zimbabwe. Or Science & Mathematics Education Department. Bindura University Of Science Education Private Bag 1020 Bindura. Zimbabwe
- BSCED ( Mathematics and Chemistry (BUSE, 2002)
- MSCED (Mathematics (BUSE, 2010)
- PHD (Mathematics education (UKZN, 2019)
- Currently, l am a lecturer in Science and Mathematics Education Department teaching Mathematics, Research and Pedagogy courses to MScEd, BScEd and DipScEd Mathematics students. I also supervise and assess students’ research from diploma up to PhD level.
- Before I became a university lecturer, I have been a high school teacher for 6 years since I completed my BScED in 2002 majoring in Mathematics and Chemistry.
- I have been teaching mathematics and chemistry up to ‘A’ level; integrated science, physical science and human and social biology and biology up to ‘O’ level.
- For those years, I held posts including Head of Department for Science/Mathematics.
Administrative and Leadership Experience
I was the acting chairperson for Science and Mathematics Education Department in 2017 and the Unit coordinator of the mathematics section. I represented the Faculty of Science Education in the following committees: Research Board, Student affairs, Timetable and Faculty planning.
External Examiner for the Department of Science, Mathematics and Technology Education- National University of Science and Technology (NUST), Zimbabwe. 2021 to present.
- Mathematics Education
- Research in Mathematics Education
- Teaching and learning of geometric concepts
- Ethno mathematics and indigenous knowledge
- Teacher education
- Sunzuma, G., Zezekwa, N and Zinyeka, G. (2019). Learner-centered instruction in mathematics: Teachers’ perspectives and interventions. LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing.
Peer-reviewed Published Research Papers
- Sunzuma, G and Maharaj. A. (2021)Zimbabwean in-service teachers’ views of geometry: an ethnomathematics perspective. International Journal of Mathematical Education in Science and Technology. DOI: 1080/0020739X.2021.1919770
- Sunzuma, G., Zezekwa, N., Gwizangwe, I., & Zinyeka, G. (2021). A Comparison of the Effectiveness of Ethnomathematics and Traditional Lecture Approaches in Teaching Consumer Arithmetic: Learners’ Achievement and Teachers’ Views. Pedagogical Research, 6(4), em0103.https://doi.org/10.29333/pr/11215
- Chagwiza, C. J., Sunzuma, G., & Mutambara, L. H. N. (2021). Exploring Zimbabwean a-level mathematics learners’ understanding of the determinant concept. European Journal of Mathematics and Science Education, 2(2), 85-100. https://doi.org/10.12973/ejmse.2.2.85
- Zezekwa, N., Munakandafa, W., & Sunzuma, G. (2021). Variations in science mentors’ assessment of student teachers during teaching practice. International Education and Culture studies, 1(2), 1-10
- Sunzuma, G and Maharaj. A. (2020). Exploring Zimbabwean Mathematics teachers’ Integration of Ethnomathematics Approaches into the Teaching and Learning of Geometry. Australian Journal of Teacher Education, 45(7), 77-93.
- Sunzuma, G and Maharaj. A. (2020).In-service Zimbabwean teachers’ obstacles in integrating ethnomathematics approaches into the teaching and learning of geometry, Journal of Curriculum Studies, 1-21. DOI: 10.1080/00220272.2020.1825820
- Sunzuma, G and Maharaj. A. (2020). Teachers’ views on learner-related variables impeding the integration of ethnomathematics approaches into the teaching and learning of geometry, International Journal of Inclusive Education, 1-19. OI:10.1080/13603116.2020.1808717
- Sunzuma, G and Maharaj. A. (2020). In-service secondary teachers’ teaching approaches and views towards integrating ethnomathematics approaches into geometry teaching. Bolema, Rio Claro (SP), 34(66), 22-39.
- Sunzuma, G and Maharaj. A. (2020). In-service mathematics teachers’ knowledge and awareness of ethnomathematics approaches. International Journal of Mathematical Education in Science and Technology, 1-16. DOI: 10.1080/0020739X.2020.1736351
- Sunzuma, G., Chando, C., Gwizangwe, I., Zezekwa, N and Zinyeka, G. (2020). In-service Zimbabwean teachers’ views on the utility value of diagrams in the teaching and learning of geometry. LUMAT: International Journal on Math, Science and Technology Education, 8(1), 1–18.
- . Sunzuma, G and Maharaj. A. (2019). Teacher-related Challenges Affecting the Integration of Ethnomathematics Approaches into the Teaching of Geometry. EURASIA: Journal of Mathematics, Science and Technology Education, 2019, 15(9), 1-15.
- Sunzuma, G and Maharaj. A. (2019). In-service Teachers’ Geometry Content Knowledge: Implications for how Geometry is Taught in Teacher Training Institutions. International Electronic Journal of Mathematics Education, 14 (1), 1-14.
- Sunzuma, G and Zezekwa, N (2016). An exploration of integrating Information and communication technology into mathematics teacher education programme. Asian Research Journal of Arts and Social Sciences, 5(1), 1-10.
- Sunzuma, G and Zezekwa, N (2016). Montessori Method of teaching: The key to learning and teaching of Mensuration of solid shapes: A case of a private school in Zimbabwe. Archives of Current Research International. 6(1), 1-5.
- Zengeya-Makuku V, Sunzuma G., Zengeya A., Bhukuvhani C.E. (2013). The Quality of teaching practice supervision and assessment of science student teachers at Bindura University of Science education (BUSE). Journal of Educational Research 3(1):48-53
- Sunzuma, G., Masocha, M and Zezekwa, N (2013).Secondary school students’ attitudes towards their learning of Geometry: A Survey of Bindura Urban Secondary schools. Greener Journal of Educational Research, 3(8), 402-410
- Zezekwa, N and Sunzuma, G. (2013).Tell me a story: Relevance, Science Pedagogy and the teaching profession. International Journal of Development Research, 3(9), 9-12.
- Sunzuma, G., Zivanai, J; Zezekwa, N; Bhukuvhani, C and Chinyoka, M (2013).The relationship between undergraduate science education students’ achievement in statistics and their prior secondary school mathematics achievement. International Journal of Scientific and Technology Research, 2(8), 316-319.
- Sunzuma, G., Zezekwa, N; Zinyeka, G and Chinyoka, M (2013).Incorporating Religious Mathematics in the teaching and learning of Formal Geometry: A case study of the apostolic church sector in Zimbabwe. International Journal of Sciences: Basic and Applied Research (IJSBAR). 9(1), 18-23
- Bhukuvhani, C., Tigere, A., Mhishi, M., Sunzuma, G. and Mupa, M. (2013) Science and Technology Education Curriculum reforms for the Nanoscience and Nanotechnology (NST) Revolution. BioInfo Publications- Journal of Education, 3 (1), 44-47.
- Bhukuvhani, C, Nyoni, N, Mupa, M, Mhishi, M, Sunzuma, G., Zezekwa, N and Gwizangwe, I. (2013). Science and Technology Educators and Students’ conceptions of nanoscience and nanotechnology: A case study of three universities in Zimbabwe. Crown Research in Education, 3(1), 22-26.
- Sunzuma, G., Ndemo, Z., Zinyeka, G and Zezekwa, N. (2012). The challenges of implementing student centered instruction in the teaching and learning of secondary school mathematics in a selected district in Zimbabwe. International Journal of Current Research, 4(5), 145-155.
- Sunzuma, G. Zezekwa, N and Bhukuvhani.C. (2012). An insight into the pedagogical approaches for Virtual Open Distance Learning (VODL) Programme at a selected university in Zimbabwe. International Journal of Social Science Tomorrow, 1(4), 1-10.
- Sunzuma, G. Zezekwa, N and Bhukuvhani.C. (2012). Undergraduate Students’ views on their learning of Research Methods and Statistics (RMS) course: Challenges and Alternative Strategies. International Journal of Social Science Tomorrow, 1(3), 1-9.
- Bhukuvhani C.E., Zezekwa, N., and Sunzuma, G. (2011). Students’ preparedness to integrate Information and Communication Technology tools and resources for the learning of Organic Chemistry concepts in the District of Masvingo, Zimbabwe. International Journal of Education and Development using ICT, 7(2), 27-37.
- Bhukuvhani, C.E., Zezekwa, N and Sunzuma G. (2011). Primary School Pre-service teachers’ perceptions of the effectiveness of mentor supervision. The Dyke. Journal of The Midlands State University. 5(2), 124-144.
- Zengeya-Makuku, V. and Sunzuma, G. (2012). An insight into quality of supervision and assessment of science student-teachers throughout teaching practice (TP) at Bindura University of Science Education (BUSE): A concern for quality assurance. International conference for teaching practice in education, UNISA Pretoria, South Africa. pp 184-201.35.
Other Academic Responsibilities
I reviewed articles for the following International Journals:
- African Journal of Research in Mathematics, Science and Technology Education
- The Electronic Journal for Research in Science & Mathematics Education.
- International Journal of Science and Mathematics Education (Springer)
- European Journal of Science and Mathematics Education
- EURASIA: Journal of Mathematics, Science and Technology Education
- Journal of Education, Society and Behavioural Science
- Journal on Mathematics Education
- International Electronic Journal of Mathematics Education
- Integrity Journal of Education and Training
- Asian Journal of Education and Social Studies
- SITE 2022 (San Diego, California) [2020 to present]
Research in Progress
Book chapters accepted awaiting publication
- Sunzuma, G. and Chirinda, B Researching Possibilities in Mathematics, Science and Technology Education in Zimbabwe
- Sunzuma, G. and Chirinda, B. The Era of COVID-19: Mathematics and Science Teaching in Zimbabwe.
Research Papers accepted by Peer-reviewed Journals Awaiting Publication
- Sunzuma, G., Pre-service teachers’ online learning in a mathematics methodology course during the COVID-19 Pandemic. Open Education Studies
Research papers under review
- Sunzuma, G. and Maharaj, A. Integrating APOS theory into the teaching and learning of mathematics: A Case of Teacher Educators’ Views and Teaching Practices
- Sunzuma, G. Zezekwa, N., , C. and Mutambara, L.H.T. Examining pre-service mathematics teachers’ Pedagogical Content Knowledge (PCK) during a professional development course.
- Sunzuma, G. Zezekwa, N., Ndemo, Z., Zinyeka, G. and Gwizangwe. I. Geometry Pedagogical Content Knowledge: Student teachers’ views in Zimbabwe.
Editorial board member of journal entitled Advances in Educational Research and Evaluation.
Editor of accepted book awaiting publication
Chirinda, B., Sibanda, L., Vere, J and Sunzuma, G. Mathematics, Science and Technology Education in Zimbabwe Research, Policy and Practice
- Utilisation of Biocultural Heritage (Biosphere Reserves) in enhancing sustainability through quality (relevant) science teaching: Live, Learn, Protect.
RESEARCH SUPERVISION AND MARKING
PhD Supervision (Current)
- Munyati L. Integrating dialogue and argumentation for enhanced performance of ordinary level mathematics students. Bindura University of Science Education (BUSE).
Supervision of Masters Students (completed)
- Zvawanda F. An insight into the teaching and learning of worded and simplified problems in Algebra at ‘O’ level at Pamushana High School in Bikita. (2013) (BUSE).
- Mpofu G. Unveiling the mathematics embedded in the culture of the Karanga people: A case study of Zvishavane district in Midlands province of Zimbabwe. (2016) (BUSE).
- Ndlovu S. ‘A’ level students’ errors and misconceptions in the integration of trigonometric functions. A case study of Matebeleland North province, Zimbabwe. (2017) (BUSE).
- Magonziwa T. Mathematical concepts embedded in traditional games: A case study of nhodo, tsoro and pada. (2017) (BUSE).
- Nyirenda. An investigation into the implementation of the new adapted mathematics curriculum at Ordinary Level: A case study of Wanezi high school, Zimbabwe. (2019) (BUSE).
- Msendo H. Difficulties faced by students during problem solving at Advanced Level mathematics. (2019) (BUSE).
- Mukombwe P. Investigating misconceptions faced by ordinary level mathematics learners and how they affect algebra learning. (2021) (BUSE).
- Liimati A. Effects of mobile smartphones usage on students’ academic performance in mathematics at ordinary level in Chiredzi urban secondary schools. (2021) (BUSE).
Supervision of Masters Students (current)
- Rusakaniko E. Confronting changes in the abrupt transition to COVID -19 induced online education in Zimbabwean high schools. (BUSE).
- Factors impinging the execution of the updated Ordinary Level mathematics curriculum in Hurungwe district, Zimbabwe. (BUSE).
- Hove E. Teachers’ and learners’ views of project based learning in Ordinary Level mathematics in Oshama region, Namibia. (BUSE).
Masters Assessment (Recently marked)
- S. B192333B. The effect of incorporating YouTube videos for blended learning, on secondary school students’ understanding of Mathematics. (2021) BUSE
- Chakandinakira E. H. B192546B. Covid-19 induced challenges to the learning of school mathematics. (2021) BUSE
- Chinyumbwe P. B191022B. An analysis of errors and misconceptions learners encounter in solving quadratic equations at ‘O’ Level. (2021) BUSE
- Chirume Alex B192334. An analysis of advanced level students understanding of concept of matrix algebra: A case of Makonde district schools. (2021) BUSE
- Mteliso L. Detection and control of traffic congestion using a mathematical model: A case of Harare metropolitan area. (2021) BUSE
- Positani N. B1852388. Exploring A-level mathematics students’ understanding of the determinant concept of 3×3 matrices. A case of Mvurwi secondary school, Mazowe district. (2020) BUSE
- Tsamwayi B1437887. An investigation into what kinds of transitional challenges are associated with shifting from syllabus 9164 to syllabus 6042 at advanced level schools in Mashonaland west province, Kadoma district, Zimbabwe. (2020) BUSE
- Chokutamba R. M. An exploratory study on use of geogebra in learning of geometric transformations at ordinary level mathematics. (2020) BUSE
- Makaza R. B1851773. An investigation into gender difference and performance in mathematics: A case study of St Joseph Tongoona high school in Masvingo province, Zaka district, Zimbabwe. (2020) BUSE
External Examiner for the Department of Science, Mathematics and Technology Education- National University of Science and Technology (NUST), Zimbabwe.