Dr Emmanuel Mavhura (Acting Chairperson: Department of Disaster Risk Reduction)
- PhD – Disaster Risk Management (BUSE)
- MSc Geo Ed (UZ)
- HBSc Geo Ed (Enrique Jose Varona)
- Certificate in Systems Analysis (Wits)
- Certificate in Risk and Governance (UFS)
- Certificate in Disaster Resilience (University of Salford)
- Certificate in Disaster Risk Reduction (Northumbria University)
- Systems Dynamics Society. systemdynamics.org
- Disaster Resilience http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/disaster-resilience
- National Civil Protection Committee of Zimbabwe. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zimbabwe Young Academy of Sciences (ZIMYAS)
- Gender and Disaster Network GDNET-L@groups.preventionweb.net
- Africa Alliance of Disaster Research Institutes (AADRI)
- Enhancing Disaster Preparedness in Most Vulnerable Flood-Prone Districts of Zimbabwe through Multi-Level Capacity Building; ECHO HIP with World Vision Zimbabwe (2018-2020)
- Updating Drought Risk Mapping in Zimbabwe: A Technical Assessment (2020-2021)
- Composite Drought Index Institutionalisation in Zimbabwe 2022
Publications in Refereed Journals
- Manyangadze, T., Mavhura, E., Mudavanhu, C., and Pedzisai, E. (2021). “An Exploratory Analysis of the Spatial Variation of Malaria Cases and Associated Household Socio-Economic Factors in Flood-Prone Areas of Mbire District, Zimbabwe.” GeoJournal doi: 10.1007/s10708-021-10505-3.
- Manyangadze, T., Chimbari, M. J., & Mavhura, E. (2021). Spatial Heterogeneity Association of HIV Incidence with Socio-economic Factors in Zimbabwe. Journal of Geographical Research, 4(3), 51–60. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.30564/jgr.v4i3.3466
- Mavhura, E., Manyangadze, T., & Karyal, K. R. (2021). Perceived impacts of climate variability and change: an exploration of farmers’ adaptation strategies in Zimbabwe’s intensive farming region. GeoJournal. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10708-021-10451-0
- Mavhura, E. & Mapuva, J. (2021) Barriers for local authorities to invest in disaster risk reduction: evidence from Zimbabwe, South African Geographical Journal, DOI: 1080/03736245.2021.1934092
- Mavhura, E., Manyangadze, T., & Raj, K. (2021). A composite inherent resilience index for Zimbabwe: An adaptation of the disaster resilience of place model. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction, 57, 102152.
- Mavhura, E., & Manyangadze, T. (2021). A comprehensive spatial analysis of social vulnerability to natural hazards in Zimbabwe: Driving factors and policy implications. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction, 56, 102139.
- Mavhura, E. (2021). The 2014 Tokwe-Mukorsi floods: Were the civil protection authorities in Zimbabwe prepared for the disaster? Journal of Flood Risk Management, e12687. https://doi.org/10.1111/jfr3.12687
- Mavhura, E., Manyangadze, T., & Mudavanhu, C. (2020). An assessment of riparian communities’ preparedness to flood risk: the case of Mbire communities in Zimbabwe. GeoJournal, 7, 1–23. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10708-020-10329-7
- Mavhura, E. (2020). Learning from the tropical cyclones that ravaged Zimbabwe: policy implications for effective disaster preparedness. Natural Hazards, 104, 2261–2275. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11069-020-04271-7
- Mucherera, B., & Mavhura, E. (2020). Flood survivors’ perspectives on vulnerability reduction to floods in Mbire district, Zimbabwe. Jàmbá – Journal of Disaster Risk Studies, 12(1), a663. https://doi.org/10.4102/jamba.v12i1.663
- Mudavanhu, C., Manyangadze, T., Mavhura, E., & Pedzisai, E. (2020). Rural households’ vulnerability and risk of flooding in Mbire District, Zimbabwe. Natural Hazards, 103, 3591–3608. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11069-020-04145-y
- Mavhura, E. (2020). Dam-induced displacement and resettlement: Reflections from Tokwe-Mukorsi flood disaster, Zimbabwe. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction, 44, 1–11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijdrr.2019.101407
- Mavhura, E., & Mushure, S. (2019). Forest and wildlife resource-conservation efforts based on indigenous knowledge: The case of Nharira community in Chikomba district, Zimbabwe. Forest Policy and Economics, 105, 83–90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.forpol.2019.05.019
- Mavhura, E. (2019). Systems Analysis of Vulnerability to Hydrometeorological Threats: An Exploratory Study of Vulnerability Drivers in Northern Zimbabwe. International Journal of Disaster Risk Science, 10, 204–219. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13753-019-0217-x
- Mavhura, E. (2019). A systems approach for assessing emergency preparedness in underground mines of Zimbabwe. Resources Policy, 62, 1–8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resourpol.2019.03.005
- Manyani, A., Bob, U., Chanza, N. and Mavhura E. (2019) Governance of rural livelihoods and adaptation to climate variability and change in Zimbabwe: Enhancement considerations in Chadereka Ward 1. Journal of Research in Humanities and Social Science 7 (1):06-21
- Mavhura, E. (2019). Analysing drivers of vulnerability to flooding: a systems approach approach. South African Geographical Journal, 101:1, 72-90. http://doi.org/10.1080/03736245.2018.1541020
- Mavhura, E., & Manyena, B. (2018). Spatial quantification of community resilience in contexts where quantitative data are scarce: The case of Muzarabani district in Zimbabwe. Geo: Geography and Environment, 1–20. https://doi.org/10.1002/geo2.65
- Mavhura E (2017) Applying a systems-thinking approach to community resilience analysis using rural livelihoods: the case of Muzarabani district, Zimbabwe. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction 25:248-258 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijdrr.2017.09.008
- Mavhura E, Manyena S.B and Collins A.E (2017) Measuring social vulnerability in context: the case of Muzarabani in Zimbabwe. Geoforum 86:103-117 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.geoforum.2017.09.008
- Mavhura E, Manatsa, D and Matiashe, M. (2017) Adapting smallholder farming to climate change and variability: Household strategies and challenges in Chipinge district, Zimbabwe. Climate Change 3(12), 903-913
- Mavhura E (2017) Building resilience to food insecurity in rural communities: Evidence of traditional institutions in Zimbabwe, Jàmbá: Journal of Disaster Risk Studies 9(1) #153, 7 pages. https://doi.org/10.4102/ jamba. v9i1.453
- Mavhura, E., Collins, A. E. and Bongo, P. P. (2017). Flood vulnerability and relocation readiness in Zimbabwe. Disaster Prevention and Management: An International Journal, 26(1), 41–54. doi.org/10.1108/DPM-05-2016-0101
- Mavhura, E (2016) Disaster Legislation: A critical review of the Civil Protection Act of Zimbabwe. Nat Hazards 80: 605-621 DOI 10.1007/s11069-015-1986-1
- Manatsa, D., Mudavanhu, C., Mushore T.D. and Mavhura E. (2015) Linking Major Shifts in East Africa ‘Short Rains’ to the Southern Annular Mode.” International Journal of Climatology. Published online in Wiley Online Library DOI: 10.1002/joc.4443
- Mavhura, E., Manatsa, D. & Mushore, T., (2015) ‘Adaptation to drought in arid and semi-arid environments: Case of the Zambezi Valley, Zimbabwe’, Jàmbá: Journal of Disaster Risk Studies 7(1), Art. #144, 7 pages. http://doi.org/10.4102/jamba. v7i1.144
- Mushure T. D, Mavhura E. Tichaona Z, Nation M (2015) Assessment of the Reliability of World Weather Online Forecasts for Kadoma Community. Journal of Earth Science and Climatic Change 6 (7): 1-5 doi:10.4172/2157-7617.1000291
- Mudavanhu, C., Manyena, B. S., Collins, A. E., Mavhura, E., & Manatsa, D. (2015). Taking Children’s Voices in Disaster Risk Reduction a Step Forward. International Journal of Disaster Risk Science, 6, 267–281. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13753-015-0060-7
- Mavhura E, Manyena S.B, Collins A.E and Manatsa D (2013) Indigenous Knowledge, Coping Strategies and Resilience to floods in Muzarabani, Zimbabwe International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction 5: 38-48 DOI.org/10.1016/j.ijdrr.2013.07.001
- Manyena, S.B., Mavhura E., Muzenda C., and Mabaso E. (2013) Disaster Risk Reduction Legislations: Is there a Move from Events to Processes? Journal of Global Environmental Change 23 1786-1794.DOI: 10.1016/j.gloenvcha.2013.07.027
- Mavhura E, Zinyandu T, Chinyanganya TP, Manatsa D, Manyani A, Siziba E. (2008). A Comparative Study of the Teaching and Learning of “A” level Human and Physical Geography in Rural High Schools of Makonde District in Mashonaland West Province. Southern African Journal of Science Education and Technology (SAJEST) Vol. 3 No 1&2, 2008.
Published Book Chapter
Mavhura E (2017) Disaster Risk Reduction Policy and Management in Zimbabwe. Chapter 24 [In Handbook of Disasters and Emergency Policies and Institutions]. Edited by Professor Christian N Madu and Professor Chu-Hua Kuei. World Scientific. https://doi.org/10.1142/9789813207950_0024. ISBN: 978-981-3207-94-3.
Technical Reports Submitted
- Mavhura E. Manyangadze T and Manatsa D (2022). Composite Drought Index Institutionalisation in Zimbabwe. World Bank/Government of Zimbabwe, Harare.
- Mavhura E. Manyangadze T and Manatsa D (2021). Updating Drought Risk Mapping in Zimbabwe: A Technical Assessment, World Bank/Government of Zimbabwe, Harare.
- Mavhura E. (2020). Quality Assurance Review: African Risk Capacity―2020/21 Drought Insurance Policies. Centre for Disaster Protection, Oxford Policy Management. Oxford. https://www.africanriskcapacity.org/
- Mavhura E. Manyangadze T., Mudavanhu C., Manatsa D., and Pedzisai, E. (2019). Flood hazard and vulnerability mapping for Mbire and Muzarabani districts, Zimbabwe. World Vision Zimbabwe, Harare.
- Mavhura E. (2017). Developing Baseline Data for Monitoring the Process of the Global Targets of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015–2030, Government of Zimbabwe – Department of Civil Protection /United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), Harare.
- Mavhura E. (2016). Disaster Management: A Resource Book for Educational Institutions in Zimbabwe (Second Edition), Government of Zimbabwe – Department of Civil Protection /United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), Harare.
- Manyena B.S. and Mavhura E. (2014). Resilience Programming to Meet Children’s Needs (UNICEF, Zimbabwe), Harare.
- Manyena B. S. and Mavhura E. (2012). Disaster Risk Management Strategy 2012 – 2015: Building community resilience to disasters, Government of Zimbabwe – Department of Civil Protection, Harare.
Conference Papers Presented
- Mavhura E. (2016) Social vulnerability to flood hazards: the case of Muzarabani district, Zimbabwe. Southern Africa Society for Disaster Reduction. Third Annual Conference. 12-14 October 2016, Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
- Mavhura E., Collins, A. E. and Bongo, P.P (2014) Vulnerability to River Flooding and Relocation Readiness: The Case of Floodplain Residents in Zimbabwe. 4th International Conference on Building Resilience, 8th – 11th September 2014, Salford, UK (buildresilience.org/2014)
- Mavhura E. (2014) Flood Risk and Related Early Warning Mechanisms in Zimbabwe. Tokwe-Mukorsi Dam Flood Disaster: Lessons Learnt Conference, 17-21 November 2014, Masvingo, Zimbabwe
- Mavhura E. (2014) Direct Impacts of Floods and drought disasters in Zimbabwe. The Global Water Partnership Southern Africa and the Resilience in the Limpopo Project (RESILIM), 8 October 2014, Harare, Zimbabwe
- Mavhura E (2013) Analyzing flood risk and related impacts to rural communities in the Zambezi Valley, Zimbabwe. Disaster Education and Community Resilience International Conference. 26 & 27 March, 2013, Bindura University of Science Education, Zimbabwe
- Mavhura E and Manyena B.S (2013) Community Strategies to Enhance Flood Risk Communication in the Zambezi Valley, Zimbabwe. International Conference on Building Resilience 17-19 September 2013 Colombo, Sri Lanka buildresilience.org/2013
- Mavhura E and Mudavanhu C (2011) Progress on Disaster Risk Reduction in Zimbabwe. Dealing with Disaster Conference (DwD), 28 November 2011, University of Glamorgan, Wales, UK
Seminar Paper Presentations
- Understanding and reducing vulnerability to flooding: from the approach of liabilities and capabilities. SADC Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) Unit: Back-to-Back Consultative Seminar on the Flood Plain Management Framework/ SADC National DRM Inventory. Bulawayo, Zimbabwe 22-24 June 2016
- Impact and adaptation to flood: A focus on water supply, sanitation and health problems of rural communities in Zimbabwe. Zimbabwe Academy of Sciences (ZAS) Water Seminar, Harare, Zimbabwe 10 – 11 July 2014
- The spatial quantification of disaster resilience. Building Resilience in Zimbabwe. 16 September, 2014, Harare, Zimbabwe
- Indigenous drought early warning systems in Zimbabwe. GERANDO Community Based Disaster Risk Management Workshop. 4-8 August 2014, World Vision, Muzarabani, Zimbabwe
- Disaster emergency preparedness: Pros and cons. Emergency Preparedness Plan for Matebeleland South Province, 29-30 September 2013, Gwanda, Zimbabwe
- An assessment of the drought disaster preparedness in Muzarabani District, Zimbabwe. African Monitoring of the Environment for Sustainable Development (AMESD) SADC THEMA Zimbabwe National Training for the Drought Service, 9-13 July 2012, Harare, Zimbabwe
- Vulnerability and Capacity Assessment Basics. Community Owned Vulnerability and Capacity Assessment (COVACA) Training Workshop, 25-29 June 2012, Muzarabani, Zimbabwe
- Perceptions of Flood Risk amongst the Rural Population of Muzarabani District, Zimbabwe: Implications for Flood Risk Management and Risk Reduction Strategies. Disaster Risk Management (DRM) National Workshop. 17-21 September 2012, Nyanga, Zimbabwe
- Introduction to Flood Forecasting and Early Warning. Zambezi River Basin Flood Forecasting and Early Warning Strategy: Zimbabwe National Consultations Final Programme 16 August 2011-Harare
- Disaster Risk Reduction Policy and Management in Zimbabwe. Policy and Legislative Review for Disaster Management in Zimbabwe, 20-24 June, 2011, Bulawayo, Zimbabwe