- PhD – BUSE
- MSc Ed – UZ, (Zimbabwe)
- BSc, Licentiate in Education – EJV (Cuba).
Publications by Dr Mavhura
Edited Book Chapters
- Mavhura E (2017) Disaster Risk Reduction Policy and Management in Zimbabwe. Chapter 24 [In Handbook of Disasters and Emergency Policies and Institutions]. Edited by Professor Christian N Madu and Professor Chu-Hua Kuei. World Scientific Publishing Company. ISBN: 978-981-3207-94-3.
Refereed Journal Articles
- Mavhura E, Manyena S.B and Collins A.E (2017) Measuring social vulnerability in context: the case of Muzarabani in Zimbabwe. Geoforum 86:103-117
- Mavhura E, Manatsa, D. and Matiashe, M. (2017) Adapting smallholder farming to climate change and variability: Household strategies and challenges in Chipinge district, Zimbabwe. Climate Change 3(12), 903-913
- Mavhura E (2017) Applying a systems-thinking approach to community resilience analysis using rural livelihoods: the case of Muzarabani district, Zimbabwe. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction 25:248-258 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijdrr.2017.09.008
- Mavhura E (2017) Building resilience to food insecurity in rural communities: Evidence of traditional institutions in Zimbabwe, Jàmbá: Journal of Disaster Risk Studies 9(1) Art. #153, 7 pages. https://doi.org/10.4102/ jamba. v9i1.453
- Mavhura, E., Collins, A. E. and Bongo, P. P. (2017). Flood vulnerability and relocation readiness in Zimbabwe. Disaster Prevention and Management, 26(1), 41–54. doi.org/10.1108/DPM-05-2016-0101
- Mavhura, E (2016) Disaster Legislation: A critical review of the Civil Protection Act of Zimbabwe. Nat Hazards 80: 605-621 DOI 10.1007/s11069-015-1986-1
- Manatsa, D., Mudavanhu, C., Mushore T.D. and Mavhura E. (2015) Linking Major Shifts in East Africa ‘Short Rains’ to the Southern Annular Mode.” International Journal of Climatology. Published online in Wiley Online Library DOI: 10.1002/joc.4443
- Mavhura, E., Manatsa, D. & Mushore, T., (2015) ‘Adaptation to drought in arid and semi-arid environments: Case of the Zambezi Valley, Zimbabwe’, Jàmbá: Journal of Disaster Risk Studies 7(1), Art. #144, 7 pages. http:// dx.doi.org/10.4102/jamba. v7i1.144
- Mushure T.D, Mavhura E. Tichaona Z, Nation M (2015) Assessment of the Reliability of World Weather Online Forecasts for Kadoma Community. Journal of Earth Science and Climatic Change 6 (7): 1-5 doi:10.4172/2157-7617.1000291
- Mudavanhu C., Manyena B.S., Collins A.E., Bongo P., Mavhura E. and Manatsa D. (2015) Taking Children’s Voices in Disaster Risk Reduction a Step Forward, International Journal of Disaster Risk Science (Published Online)
- Mavhura E, Manyena S.B, Collins A.E and Manatsa D (2013) Indigenous Knowledge, Coping Strategies and Resilience to floods in Muzarabani, Zimbabwe International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction 5: 38-48
- Manyena, S.B., Mavhura E., Muzenda C., and Mabaso E. (2013) Disaster Risk Reduction Legislations: Is there a Move from Events to Processes? Journal of Global Environmental Change 23 1786-1794.
- Mavhura E, Zinyandu T, Chinyanganya TP, Manatsa D, Manyani A, Siziba E. (2008). A Comparative Study of the Teaching and Learning of “A” level Human and Physical Geography in Rural High Schools of Makonde District in Mashonaland West Province. Southern African Journal of Science Education and Technology. Vol. 3 No 1&2, 2008.
Conference Papers and Poster Presentations
- Mavhura E. (2016) Social vulnerability to flood hazards: the case of Muzarabani district, Zimbabwe. Southern Africa Society for Disaster Reduction. Third Annual Conference. 12-14 October 2016, Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
- Mavhura E., Collins, A. E. and Bongo, P.P (2014) Vulnerability to River Flooding and Relocation Readiness: The Case of Floodplain Residents in Zimbabwe. 4th International Conference on Building Resilience, 8th – 11th September 2014, Salford, UK (www.buildresilience.org/2014)
- Mavhura E and Manyena B.S (2013) Community Strategies to Enhance Flood Risk Communication in the Zambezi Valley, Zimbabwe. International Conference on Building Resilience 17-19 September 2013 Colombo, Sri Lanka www.buildresilience.org/2013
- Mavhura E. (2014) Flood Risk and Related Early Warning Mechanisms in Zimbabwe. Tokwe-Mukorsi Dam Flood Disaster: Lessons Learnt Conference, 17-21 November 2014, Masvingo, Zimbabwe
- Mavhura E. (2014) Direct Impacts of Floods and drought disasters in Zimbabwe. The Global Water Partnership Southern Africa and the Resilience in the Limpopo Project (RESILIM), 8 October 2014, Harare, Zimbabwe
- Mavhura E. (2014) Rural Livelihoods and Community Resilience to Flooding. University of Free State, (South Africa) and the International Institute of Applied System Analysis- IIASA (Vienna, Austria)
- Mavhura E (2013) Analyzing flood risk and related impacts to rural communities in the Zambezi Valley, Zimbabwe. Disaster Education and Community Resilience International Conference. 26 & 27 March, 2013, Bindura University of Science Education, Zimbabwe
- Mavhura E and Mudavanhu C (2011) Progress on Disaster Risk Reduction in Zimbabwe. Dealing with Disaster Conference (DwD), 28 November 2011, University of Glamorgan, Wales, UK
Consultancy/ Technical Reports
- Mavhura E. (2016) Disaster Management: A Resource Book for Educational Institutions in Zimbabwe (Second Edition) Government of Zimbabwe -Department of Civil Protection.
- Manyena B.S. and Mavhura E. (2014) Resilience Programming to Meet Children’s Needs (UNICEF, Zimbabwe).
- Manyena B. S. and Mavhura E. (2012) Disaster Risk Management Strategy 2012 – 2015: Building community resilience to disasters
Seminar Paper Presentations
- Understanding and reducing vulnerability to flooding: from the approach of liabilities and capabilities. SADC Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) Unit: Back to Back Consultative Seminar on the Flood Plain Management Framework/ SADC National DRM Inventory. 22-24 June 2016
- United Nations International Strategy for Disaster Reduction (UNISDR) Open-Ended Intergovernmental Expert Working Group on Indicators and Terminology to Disaster Risk Reduction (2015 &2016)
- Impact and adaptation to flood: A focus on water supply, sanitation and health problems of rural communities in Zimbabwe. Zimbabwe Academy of Sciences (ZAS) Water Seminar, Harare, Zimbabwe 10 – 11 July 2014
- The spatial quantification of disaster resilience. Building Resilience in Zimbabwe. 16 September, 2014, Harare, Zimbabwe
- Indigenous drought early warning systems in Zimbabwe. GERANDO Community Based Disaster Risk Management Workshop. 4-8 August 2014, World Vision, Muzarabani, Zimbabwe
- Disaster emergency preparedness: Pros and cons. Emergency Preparedness Plan for Matebeleland South Province, 29-30 September 2013, Gwanda, Zimbabwe
- An assessment of the drought disaster preparedness in Muzarabani District, Zimbabwe. African Monitoring of the Environment for Sustainable Development (AMESD) SADC THEMA Zimbabwe National Training for the Drought Service, 9-13 July 2012, Harare, Zimbabwe
- Vulnerability and Capacity Assessment Basics. Community Owned Vulnerability and Capacity Assessment (COVACA) Training Workshop, 25-29 June 2012, Muzarabani, Zimbabwe
- Perceptions of Flood Risk amongst the Rural Population of Muzarabani District, Zimbabwe: Implications for Flood Risk Management and Risk Reduction Strategies. Disaster Risk Management (DRM) National Workshop. 17-21 September 2012, Nyanga, Zimbabwe
- Introduction to Flood Forecasting and Early Warning. Zambezi River Basin Flood Forecasting and Early Warning Strategy: Zimbabwe National Consultations Final Programme 16 August 2011-Harare
- Disaster Risk Reduction Policy and Management in Zimbabwe. Policy and Legislative Review for Disaster Management in Zimbabwe, 20-24 June, 2011, Bulawayo, Zimbabwe