Academic Profile for Prof P Dzomba
- Diploma in Education (Physics, Chemistry, Biology),University of Zimbabwe
- PhD:Physical Organic Chemistry, University of Zimbabwe
- Bachelor of Science Education Honours in Chemistry, Bindura University
- Masters of Analytical Chemistry, Bindura University
- Traditional medicines and indigenous foods: Medico-nutritional properties and application to improve health and facilitate healing. Special interests are on diseases such as malaria, cholera, diabetes, obesity, cancers and hypertension.
- Heavy metal toxicology in indigenous medicinal and food plants
- Developing low cost and green household and laboratory chemicals
- Drug discovery, efficacy studies and synthesis and impact of drugs on the environment.
- Anti-obesity activity of dietary flavonoids
- Antioxidant activity of phenolic compounds from indigenous food and medicinal plants
- Development of bio-veterinary drugs for remediating diseases in poultry
- Hardlife Rambwawasvika, Pamhidzai Dzomba and Luke Gwatidzo, (2018). In vitro Study of Phytochemical Composition and Antifungal Activity of Dicerocaryum senecioides Leaf Extract. Pharmacologia, 9: 137-143. DOI: 10.5567/pharmacologia.2018
- Luke Gwatidzo, Pamhidzai Dzomba and Mkululi Mangena. TLC separation and antioxidant activity of flavonoids from Carissa bispinosa, Ficus sycomorus, and Grewia bicolar fruits. Nutrire (2018) 43:3. DOI 10.1186/s41110-018-0062-5
- Dzomba, P, Gwatidzo, L, Mugari, P. and Mupa, M. (2017). Traditional dishes consumed in Zimbabwe and high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) quantitation of their antioxidant phytochemicals, African Journal of Biotechnology, 16(26): 1461-1473
Mupa M, Shereni K., Dzomba P (2016). Pennisetum purpureum Ash Silica Immobilized Sugarcane Bagasse Bio-Sorbent for Basic Dye Effluent Treatment. Research Journal of Chemical Environment Science.4 (3) 71-78
Dzomba P, L. Gwatidzo, K. Mtwazi, M. Mupa (2016).Screening and HPLC quantitation of phytocompounds with antiobesity activity in traditional teas consumed in Zimbabwe. Der Pharma Chemica, 8(18):255-265
- Mark F. Zaranyika, Pamhidzai Dzomba and Jameson Kugara (2015). Degradation of oxytetracycline in the aquatic environment: a proposed steady state kinetic model that takes into account hydrolysis, photolysis, microbial degradation and adsorption by colloidal and sediment particles. Environmental chemistry; Csiro publishing 12 (2): 174-188; http://dx.doi.org/10.1071/EN14116.
- M. F. Zaranyika, P. Dzomba, J. Kugara (2015). Speciation and persistence of doxycycline in the aquatic environment: Characterization in terms of steady state kinetics, Journal of Environmental Science and Health, Part B Pesticides, Food Contaminants, and Agricultural Waste 12: 1-11. Doi: 10. 1080/03601234.2015.1067101.
- P. Dzomba, J. Kugara and M. F. Zaranyika (2015). Extraction of tetracycline antimicrobials from river water and sediment: a comparative study of three solid phase extraction methods. African Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, 9(19): 523-531, doi: 10.5897/ajpp2015. 4341.
- Dzomba P, Kugara, J, Zaranyika, M. F. (2015) Characterization of microbial degradation of oxytetracycline in river water and sediment using reversed phase high performance liquid chromatography. African Journal of Biotechnology, 14: 1-9 doi 10.5897/AJB2014.14091.
P. Dzomba, J. Kugara, V. V. Mukunyaidze and M. F. Zaranyika (2015). Biodegradation of tetracycline antibacterials using green algal species collected from municipal and hospital effluents Der Chemica Sinica, 6(7):27-33
- Dzomba P, Zaranyika M.F, Kugara J, Zhanda T Determination of oxytetracycline residues in untreated and treated drinking water in Bindura town by RP-HPLC-UV visible spectrometry after ultrasonic assisted dispersive solid phase extraction (UA-DSPE), World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, 2014, 3 (2) 1568-1578.
- P. Dzomba, I. Gwizangwe, P. Pedzisai, E. Togarepi (2014).Quality, Shelf-life and Sensory Analysis of Beef Meat Treated with Cleome gynandra and Vigna unguiculata Extracts. Chemical Engineering and Science. 2 (3): 40-45.
- Pamhidzai Dzomba, Cexton Musekiwa (2014). Anti-obesity and antioxidant activity of dietary flavonoids from Dioscorea steriscus tubers. Journal of Coastal Life Medicine. 2(6): 465-470
- Shasha D, Gwezere W, Dzomba P, Chayamiti T (2014). Determination of Organophosphorus Pesticide Residues in Cabbages from Bindura Market Place by Solid Phase Extraction and Gas Liquid Chromatography. Bulletin of the Environment, Pharmacology. Life Sciences, 3 (3): 95-99
- Dzomba P and Gwizangwe I. TLC separation, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory activity of extracts derived from Zanthoxylum humile roots. International Journal of Research in Ayurveda and Pharmacy. 2013, 4(4): 482-486 DOI 10.7897/2277-4343.04403
- P. Dzomba, D. Shasha, T. Chayamiti, G. Murambasvina, N. Mudavanhu. Rationale Behind the Use of Temnocalyx Obovatus Roots as Antivenins Against Snakebites in Primary Health Care. American Journal of Phytomedicine and Clinical Therapeutics, 2013, (1): 098-106
- Dzomba P, Ngoroyemoto N, Musarurwa R. Antioxidant Capacity and Microbial Attributes of Raw Cow Milk Fortified with Hypotrigona Squamuligera Honey. Global Journal of Medical research Microbiology and Pathology. 2013, 13 (3): 9-12
- Dzomba P; Mupa M and Togarepi E. Anthocyanin and antioxidant activities of common bean species grown in Mashonaland central, Zimbabwe. African journal of agriculture research. 2013, 8(25): 3330-3333, DOI: 10.5897/AJAR12.225
- N. Mudavanhu, P. Dzomba, C. Mudavanhu and S. Mazorodze. Occupational Safety and Environmental Risks Scenario of Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs): An Analysis of the Situation in Harare Chemical Industries, Zimbabwe. American Chemical Science Journal, 2013 (3) 2: 98-110
- N. Mudavanhu, P. Dzomba and L. D. Mudehwe. Potential Devastating Domino Effect: A Case Study of Msasa Industrial Area, Zimbabwe. American Chemical Science Journal. 2013; 2: 56-57.
- D. R. Masvodza, P Dzomba, F. Mhandu and B. Masamha. Heavy Metal Content in Acacia saligna and Acacia polyacantha on Slime Dams: Implications for Phytoremediation, American Journal of Experimental Agriculture 2013, 3(4): 871-883.
- Ngoroyemoto N, Mushore J, Dhliwayo, J and Dzomba P. Antimicrobial Properties of Methanolic, Water And Chloroform Extracts of Psidium Guajava (L) Roots. International Journal of Green and Herbal Chemistry. 2013, 2, (3): 713-722.
- Mupa M, Dzomba P, Musekiwa C, Muchineripi R, Lead Content of Lichens in Metropolitan Harare, Zimbabwe. Air Quality and Health Risk Implications, Greener Journal of Environmental Management and Public Safety, 2013, 2(2), 075 – 082,
- Dzomba P, Mupa M, Wild Cucumis Anguria Leaves: Phytochemical Profile and Antioxidant Capacity Asian Journal of Tropical Biomedicine, 2012, 1 – 5.
- Dzomba P, E Togarepi, C Musekiwa. Phytochemicals, antioxidant and antibacterial properties of a lichen species Cladonia digitata. African Journal of Biotechnology. 2012 11(31):7995-7999.
- P Dzomba, N Muchanyereyi. Potential Antimicrobial plant extract based therapeutics from Temnocalyx obovatus roots. European journal of medicinal. 2012, plants 2 (3): 209-215
- Dzomba P, Togarepi E, Musekiwa C, Chagwiza CJ. Improving oxidative stability of soya and sunflower oil using Temnocalyx obovatus extracts. African Journal of Biotechnology. 11(50: 11099-11103
- E Togarepi, C Mapiye, N Muchanyereyi, P Dzomba. Opitimisation of Fermentation Parameters for ethanol production fron Ziziphus mauritiana fruit pulp using Saccharomyces cerevisiae (NA33). International Journal of biochemistry research and review.2012. 2(2): 60-69
- Dzomba, P.; Togarepi, E.; Mahamadi C. In-vitro assessment of antioxidant potential and phenolic capacity of Temnocalyx obovatus leaves. African Journal of Biochemistry Research. 2012. 6(8), 98-104, 30.
- P Dzomba, S Nyoni, N Mudavanhu. Heavy metal contamination risk through consumption of traditional food plants growing around Bindura town,Zimbabwe. Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health Sciences. 2012. 4(5): 92-95.
- P. Dzomba, T. Chayamiti, S. Nyoni, P. Munosiyei and I. Gwizangwe.Ferriprotoporphyrin IX-Combretum imberbe crude extracts interactions: Implication for malaria treatment. African Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology. 2012, 6(29): 2205-2210,
- P. Dzomba N. Ngoroyemoto L. Mutandwa, D. Shasha. Phytochemical screening and biological activities of Hypotrigona squamuligera raw honey. International Journal of Biochemistry Research & Review. 2012,2(3): 98-105.
- P. Dzomba, T. Chayamiti and E. Togarepi (2012) Heavy Metal Content of Selected Raw Medicinal Plant Materials: Implication for Patient Health, Bulletin of Environment, Pharmacology and Life Sciences, 1(10), 28-33.
- C Mahamadi, E Togarepi, P Dzomba. Extraction of phenolic compounds from Temnocalyx obovatus. African Journal of Biotechnology. 2011 10(54):11245-11248
- Ngarivhume, T., Dzomba P., Gwizangwe, I., Zendera, C.H., Katsvanga, C.A.T., Jimu, L., Moyo, M. and Chagonda, T Anaesthetic effects of Adenia gummifera distillates on Apis mellifera (Honeybee). Natural Products Research 2008, 22 (15): 1370-1378.
Conferences and Exhibitions
- Pamhidzai Dzomba, Estele Mwanza. Dipeptidyl peptidase IV and α-glucosidase inhibitory activity of four bush okra species: implication for ethinobotanical management of diabetes type 2. International Conference of the Natural Products Research Network for Eastern and Central Africa – Kenya (NAPRECA – K). 8 – 10, February 2018; SAJOREC, JKUAT, Kenya
- Pamhidzai Dzomba and Tinevimbo Chidavayenzi, Inhibition of α-amylase by Euclea crispa phytochemicals: Implication for herbal management of diabetes mellitus type 2 , 9th International Conference of the African Materials Research Society. 9 t h – 1 4 t h D E C 2017 – Gaborone, Botswana
- P. Dzomba, J. Kugara M. F. Zaranyika. Speciation and degradation of tetracycline in the aquatic environment: characterization in terms of steady state kinetics that takes into account photolytic, hydrolytic, microbial degradation and adsorption onto colloidal and sediment particles.10th ANCAP Symposium, from 2nd– 4th December 2017, Mombasa, Kenya
- M. F. Zaranyika*, P. Dzomba and J. Kugara. Speciation and persistence of chlortetracycline in the aquatic environment: Characterization in terms of a linear rate law. 30-31 July 2015, ANCAP Symposium. Makerere University, Uganda. Www.Ancapnet.Org/Symposium.11.Htm
- Pamhidzai Dzomba, Mark F. Zaranyika, JamesonKugara. (2013).Determination of oxytetracycline residues inuntreated and treated drinking water in Binduratown by RP-HPLC-UV visible spectrometry afterultrasonic assisted dispersive solid phaseextraction (UA-DSPE).1-2 September 2013 SETAC 6th Conference Lusaka Zambia. Www.Setac.Org/Event/Africa-2013
- Ngarivhume, T., Dzomba, P., Gwizangwe, I., Zendera, C.H., Katsvanga, C.A.T., Jimu, L., Moyo, M. and Chagonda, T Anaesthetic effects of Adenia gummifera distillates on Apis mellifera (Honeybee). Zimbabwe Agriculture Show. ZAS 2009. Harare Exhibition Park
- P. Dzomba, I. Gwizangwe and P. Pedzisai.Quality, Shelf-life and Sensory Analysis of BeefMeat Treated with Cleome gynandra and Vigna unguiculata Extracts, 2013, Intellectual Property Explo 2012. University of Zimbabwe
- Dzomba P. Development of bio-veterinary drugs from indigenous medicinal plants.Zimbabwe Agriculture Show. ZAS 2013. Harare Exhibition Park
- Dzomba P.Use of virtual laboratories in the teaching of science at high school level.IST Internationa Science and Mathematics Education Conference, Bindura University August 2013
- Dzomba P. Development of safe and environmentally friendly household chemicals.Zimbabwe International Trade Fair. ZITF 2016. Bulawayo ZITF Exhibition Park
- Ngarivhume, T., Dzomba, P., Gwizangwe, I., Zendera, C.H., Katsvanga, C.A.T., Jimu, L., Moyo, M. and Chagonda, T Anaesthetic effects of Adenia gummifera steam distillates on Apis mellifera (Honeybee).Intellectual Property Explo 2010University of Zimbabwe. Poster presentation
- Use of biomarkers and bio-indicators in the analysis of persistence organic pollutants in the environment. 26-31 August 2013. ANCAP 10th summer school. University of Zambia. Lusaka.www.ancap.org/summer10.htm
- Analysis of persistent organic pollutants (POPs) 24 February 2014 Oasis Hotel, Zimbabwe
Process oriented statistical analysis and use of the RZWQM2 model to predict fate and transport of organic molecules in the soil. 27-31 July 2015. ANCAP 11TH Summer School. Makerere University.
- Vice Chancellor Award For Best Researcher, 2012
- Book Prize For Best Presentation, (SETAC 6th Conference)
- Money Prize For Second Best Presentation, ANCAP Symposium. Makerere University, Uganda. www.ancapnet.org/symposium.11.htm