Academic Profile for Dr. Mathew Mupa
PhD Chemistry (Leopold-Franzens University, Institute of analytical Chemistry and Radiochemistry, Innsbruck, Austria), MSc Industrial Processing Chemistry (Technical University of Carl Schorlemmer, Merseburg, Germany)
Dr. Mathew Mupa graduated with an MSc Industrial Processing Chemistry degree in 1989, from Technical University of Carl Schorlemmer, in the former German Democratic Republic. He obtained a PhD in Analytical Chemistry from Leopold-Franzens University, Innsbruck, Austria in 1999.
After graduating with his first degree he worked for the Ministry of Industry and Commerce from 1990 to 1991 and the secretariat of the Research Council of Zimbabwe from 1991 to 1995. From 1996 to 1999 he pursued further studies in Austria, at PhD level. From 1999 to 2010 he worked as a senior research scientist with the Scientific and Industrial Research and Development Centre (SIRDC).
In April 2010, he joined the Bindura University of Science Education as lecturer in the Department of Chemistry and is the current Chairperson of the Department. His current research interests are in separation sciences, polymer and environmental chemistry. He has developed methods for preparation of silica gels and adsorbent material for water purification form biowaste.
Research interests : Polymer chemistry, separation sciences and environmental chemistry
Current research : Development of synthetic methods for silica gels from bio-waste and related composite materials.
- Mupa M., Zvoushe S., Mukaratirwa-Muchanyereyi N, Machingauta C. (2018). Pennisetum Typhoides Based Biochar Prepared for the Removal of Methylene Blue: A Column Study. Pollution Research (accepted)
- Mupa M, Shingirai Chimanikire, Cleopas Machingauta, Netai Muchanyereyi-Mukaratirwa (2018). Efficiency of phosphoric acid and zinc chloride activated carbons prepared from strychnos spinosa (monkey orange) fruit shell for the removal of methylene blue. Indian Journal of Environmental Protection (Accepted)
- Mupa M.* Kubara R., Gere J., (2018). Extraction, growth and immobilization of Yarrowia lipolytica yeast cells for dye effluent treatment. Archives of Environmental Protection Vol. 44 no. 1 pp. 47–53
- Mukaratirwa-Muchanyereyi N., Matitrekwe N., Nyoni S., Mupa M., (2017). Adsorption of Victoria Blue by Acid Treated maize Tassels. International Journal of ChemTech Research 10(9), 638-649.
- Mukaratirwa-Muchanyereyi N., Mapfumo-Murehwa E., Nyoni S. Mupa M., (2017). Removal of Atrazine from aqueous solution using untreated and sulphuric Acid TreatedMaize Cobs Biomass. International Journal of ChemTech Research 10(10), 552-566.
- Mupa M*, Mautsi MP, Gwizangwe I. (2017). Adsorption of a Cationic Dye By Marula (Sclerocarya Birrea) Fruit Seed Shell Based Biosorbent: Equilibrium and Kinetic Studies African Journal of Biotechnology 16(40), 1969-1976. DOI:10.5897/AJB2016.15830
- Rahman A.*, Uahengo V., Likius D., Mupa M. (2017). Selective acetylation of 2-Naphthol to 2-naphthyl acetate with Ni homogeneous catalysts: An environmentally friendly protocol. Science Journal of Chemistry 5 (4), 47
- Mukuratirwa-Muchanyereyi N*, Muchenje N., Nyoni .S. Shumba M., Mupa M., Gwatidzo L., Rahman A. (2017). Green Synthesis of Silver Nanoparticles Using Euphorbia Confinalis Stem Extract, Characterization and Evaluation of Antimicrobial Activity. Journal of Nanomaterials & Molecular Nanotechnology 6:3, DOI: 10.4172/2324-8777.1000224
- Gwaziwa N., Dzomba P., Mupa M.* (2017). A quality control study of ibuprofen tablets available in the formal and informal market in Harare, Zimbabwe. African Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology Vol. 11(16), pp. 195-203, 29 April, 2017, DOI: 10.5897/AJPP2017.4736, Article Number: 8CA094963894.
- Dzomba P., Gwatidzo L., Mugari P., Mupa M. (2016). HPLC Quantitation of antioxidant phytochemicals in traditional dishes. African Journal of Biotechnology 16(26), 1461-1473.
- Dzomba P., Gwatidzo L., Mugari P., Mupa M. (2016). HPLC Quantitation of antioxidant phytochemicals in traditional dishes., Pakistan Journal Nutrition (accepted).
- Dzomba P.*, Gwatidzo L., Mtwazi K., Mupa M. 2016. Screening and HPLC quantitation of phytocompounds with antiobesity activity in traditional teas consumed in Zimbabwe. Der Pharma Chemica, 2016, 8(18):255-265
- Mupa M.*, Rutsito D. D., Musekiwa C. (2016), Removal of Methylene Blue in aqueous solutions using Biochar Prepared from Eichhorrnia crassipes (Water Hyacinth)-molasses composite: Kinetic and Equilibrium Studies. African Journal of Pure and Applied Chemistry, 10(6), 62-72. DOI: 10.5897/AJPAC2016.0703.
- Rahman A., Mupa M., Mahamadi C., (2016). A mini review on new emerging trends for the synthesis of adipic acid from metal-nano heterogeneous catalysts. Catalysis Letters 146(1). DOI: 10.1007/s10562-015-1682-5.
- Rahman A., Pelletier A., Mupa M., Mahamadi C., Musekiwa C. (2016). Environment-Friendly Reduction of Aromatics to Alicyclic Compounds at Room Temperature Using Superactive Calcined Ni-Al Hydrotalcite Catalysts. American Journal of Applied Chemistry 4(1): 18-23. DOI: 11648/j.ajac.20160401.14.
- Mupa M.*, Shereni K., Dzomba P. (2016). Pennisetum Purpureum ash silica immobilized sugarcane bagasse for the removal of methylene blue. Research Journal of Chemical and Environmental Sciences 4(3), 71-78.
- Mupa M.*, Mapfaira E, Mukaratirwa-Muchanyereyi N., Machingauta C. (2016). Preparation of Rice Husk Ash Silica-Hydroxyapatite Adsorbent for Defluoridation of Water: Kinetic and Equilibrium Studies. International Journal of ChemTech Research 9(9), 75-84.
- Mupa M.*, Gwaku F., Gwizangwe I. (2016). Pediastrum boryanum immobilized on rice husk ash silica as biosorbent for fluoride removal from drinking water. Indian Journal of Science and Technology, Vol 9(48), DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i48/89127, December 2016
Mupa M.*, Witzleben S., Muchanyereyi N.,
- Mahamadi C., Mudavanhu N. (2016). Preparation of Silica Gel from Pennisetum Purpureum Ash. Bulletin of the Ethiopian Chemical society (submitted)
Mahamadi C., Mupa M., Jackson G. E. (2015). Competitive Adsorptive Removal of Pb, Cu and Cd from Water Using Water Pennywort Fixed on Alginate, Bioremediation & Biodegradation 6:300. DOI:10.4172/2155-6199.100300.
- Mukoko T., Mupa M., Guyo U., Dziike F. (2015). Preparation of Rice Hull Activated Carbon for the Removal of Selected Pharmaceutical Waste Compounds in Hospital Effluent. Environmental & Analytical Toxicology S7:008 doi:10.4172/2161-0525.S7-008.
- Muzarabani N., Mupa M.*, Gwatidzo L., Machingauta C. (2015). Silica Gel Matrix Immobilized Chlorophyta hydrodictyon africanum for the Removal of Methylene Blue from Aqueous Solutions: Equilibrium and Kinetic Studies. African Journal of Biotechnology 14(31), 2463-2471. DOI: 10.5897/AJB2015.14645.
- Mupa M.*, Hungwe C. B., Witzleben S., Mahamadi C., Muchanyereyi N. (2015). Extraction of Silica Gel from Sorghum bicolour (L) Moench Bagasse ash. African Journal of Pure and Applied Chemistry 9(2), pp. 12-17. DOI: 10.5897/AJPAC2015.0503.
Shasha D., Mupa M.*, Muzarabani N., Gwatidzo L., Machingauta C. (2015). Removal of Congo Red from Aqueous Synthetic Solutions using Silica Gel immobilized chlorophyta hydrodictyon Africanum. Journal of Environmental Science and Technology 8(2),83-90. DOI: 10.3923/jest.2015.83.90
- Dzomba P., Togarepi E., Mupa M. (2013) Anthocyanin content and antioxidant activities on common bean species (phaseolus valgaris L.) grown in Mashonaland Central Zimbabwe. African Journal of Agricultural Research 8(25):pp3330-3333.
- Mupa M.*, Dzomba Musekiwa C, Muchineripi R, (2013)., Lead Content of Lichens in Metropolitan Harare, Zimbabwe. Air Quality and Health Risk Implications, Greener Journal of Environmental Management and Public Safety, 2(2), 075 – 082
- Mahamadi C, Zambara P, Mupa M, (2013). Entrapment of Eichhornia Crassipes in Ca-Alginate Beads: Preparation, Equilibrium and Kinetic Analysis, European Journal of Scientific Research 94(4), 450 – 459,
- Muchanyereyi N, Chiripayi L, Shasha D, Mupa M, (2013) Adsorption of Phenol from Aqueous Solution Using Carbonized Tassels. British Journal of Applied Science and Technology, 3(3), 649 – 661,
- Bukhuvhani C, Munakandafa W, Munodawafa V, Zengeya A, Mupa M. (2013) Addressing Teaching Practice Quality Assurance Issues in Open and Distance Learning Science Teacher Training: A case Study for Zimbabwe. International Journal of Social Science Tomorrow, Vol/1 No. 8, pp 1 – 6.
- Bhukuvhani C, Mupa M., Mhishi M., Dziva D., Crispen, (2013). Practical Work Instructional Technologies and Open Distance Learning in Science Teacher Training: A Case Study in Zimbabwe. International Journal of Education and Development using Information and Communication Technology, 2012, Vol. B, Issue 2, pp17 – 27.
- Bhukuvhani C., Aspinas T., Abel S., Mhishi M., Sunzuma G., Mupa M. (2013). Science and Technology Education Curriculum Reforms for the Nanoscience and Nanotechnology (NST) Revolution. Journal of Education, ISSN: 2249-5517 & E-ISSN: 2249-5525, Volume 3, Issue 1, pp.44-47.
- Dzomba P, Mupa M. (2012). Wild Cucumis Anguria Leaves: Phytochemical Profile and Antioxidant Capacity. Asian Journal of Tropical Biomedicine, 1 – 5,
- Bhukuvhani C, Mupa M, Mhishi M, Dziva D. (2012). Science Practical Work Instructional Technologies and Open Distance Learning in Science Teacher Training: A Case Study in Zimbabwe. International Journal of Education and Development Using Information and Communication Technology (IJEDICT), 2(2), 17 – 22,
- Mupa M., Chiral Chromatography and Its Importance Technology Monitor, 2002, (not refereed)
- Buchmeiser R M, Sinner F, Mupa M, Tailor-made Polymer Supports via Metathesis Polymerization: Concepts and Applications, Macromol. Symposia, 163(2001)25 – 34.
Eder C, Sinner F, Mupa M, Huber C G, Buchmeiser M R. Evaluation of Norbornene-β-cyclodextrine Based Monomers and Polymers as Chiral Selectors by Means of Non-aqueous Capillary Electrophoresis. Electrophoresis 22(2001) 109 – 116,
- Buchmeiser M. R., Sinner F, Mupa M., Ring-Opening Metathesis Polymerization for Surface-Grafted Polymer Supports, Macromolecules 33(2000)32 – 39.
- Buchmeiser M. R., Seeber G, Mupa M., (1999). Bonn G-K, ROMP Based Highly Hydrophobic poly(7-oxanorborn-2-ene-5,6-dicarboxylic Acid) Coated Silica for Analytical and Preparative Scale High Performance Ion Chromatography. Chem. Mater 11, 1533 – 1540,
- Sinner F., Buchmeiser M. R., Tessadry R., Mupa M., Wurst K., Bonn, G. –K., Dipyridyl Amide-functionalized Polymers by Ring-Opening-Metathesis Polymerization for selective extraction of mercury and palladium. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1998, 120, 2790 – 2797.
Syntheses of adsorbent materials for use in water purification
The project has been funded DAAD under the Materials Resources Programme. The title of the project is: Synthesis of Zeolites from coal fly Ash and Bio-waste Material for environmental applications