- PhD in Agriculture (Rumen Microbiology) (Chonbuk National University, South Korea)
- MSc in Microbiology (University of Pretoria, South Africa)
- BSc (Hons) Applied Biology & Biochemistry (NUST, Zimbabwe)
Dr. Mbiriri joined the department of Biological Sciences in May of 2017, coming from University of Zimbabwe where she was employed as a part-time lecturer in the Technical Education department, taking Animal Science courses (Agriculture) including Biochemistry and Animal Nutrition. She graduated with a PhD in Agriculture from Department of Animal Science (Ruminant Nutrition & Microbiology) Chonbuk National University in February 2016. Her thesis was on biotransformation of bioactive compounds in kudzu root, a plant native to Asia. Further, she obtained her MSc degree in Microbiology at the University of Pretoria (UP), South Africa in 2012. Her MSc dissertation was on characterisation of microcapsules encapsulating probiotic bacteria and shelf life studies of the same in mahewu (a traditional sorghum based beverage). Before working on her Master’s degree she was part of the Forensic Science team housed at Morris Depot in Harare. She holds a BSc. Hons degree in Applied Biology & Biochemistry from National University of Science & Technology (NUST), based in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe.
Dr. Mbiriri is interested in research on probiotic bioprospecting, encapsulation technology, bioactivities of secondary metabolites of plants and methane mitigation in ruminants.
Industrial Microbiology, Food Microbiology, Applied Microbiology
- Mbiriri, D. T., Cho, S., Mamvura, C. I. and Choi, N. J. (2015) Assessment of rumen microbial adaptation to garlic oil, carvacrol and thymol using the consecutive batch-culture system. Journal of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry, 3(4).
- Mamvura, C. I., Cho, S. B., Mbiriri, D. T. and Choi, N. J. (2014) Effect of encapsulating nitrate in sesame gum on in vitro rumen fermentation parameters. Asian-Australian Journal of Animal Science, 27(11): 1577-1583.
- Thantsha M.S., Labuschagne P., Mamvura, C.I. (2014) Supercritical CO2 interpolymer complex encapsulation improves heat stability of probiotic bifidobacteria. World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology 30, 479-486
- Mamvura, C.I., Moolman, F.S., Kalombo, L., Hall, A.N., Thantsha, M.S. (2011) Characterisation of the Poly-(Vinylpyrrolidone)-Poly-(Vinylacetate-Co-Crotonic Acid) (PVP:PVAc-CA) Interpolymer Complex Matrix Microparticles Encapsulating a Bifidobacterium lactis Probiotic Strain. Probiotics and Antimicrobial Proteins 3, 97-102.
- Siwela, A.H., Mamvura, C.I., Masanganise, K.E., Dube, S. (2010) Oxidative stress associated with nematode infections in sheep: a preliminary study. International Journal of Biological and Chemical Sciences 4, 235-240.
- Thantsha M., Mamvura C., Booyens J. Probiotics: what they are, their benefits and challenges in ‘Gastroenterology’. Editor Tomasz Brzozowski. ISBN 979-953-307-495-4.