All applicants have to meet the following minimum requirements for admission prescribed under the general regulations:
- Have obtained two (2) Advanced Level passes in Biology and Chemistry and a third subject which could either be Physics or Mathematics;
- Have obtained a National Diploma (ND) in Biotechnology, or its equivalent plus a minimum of two (2) years relevant post qualification experience.
- Have obtained a Higher National Diploma (HND) in Biotechnology or its equivalent.
- The Bachelor of Science Honours Degree in Biotechnology Programme shall extend over a period of four years of full time study, each year of study comprising two semesters.
- Theoretical Courses shall be taught during the first two years and the final year of study while the third academic year shall be reserved for industrial attachment and a research project.
- In Part IV students are required to do at least two options of their choice, subject to availability of resources and approval by the department. Students shall do at least six courses on each of the two options.
- Organic Chemistry I
- Mathematics for Technologists I
- Technopreneurship I
- General Microbiology
- Principles of Thermodynamics
- Cell Biology
- Mathematics for Technologists II
- Bioseparation Engineering
- Technopreneurship II
- Technical Communication Skills II
- Plant and Animal Physiology
- Molecular Biology
- Bioprocess Engineering
- Genetic Engineering
- Technopreneurship III
- Plant Tissue Culture
- Fermentation Biotechnology
- Animal Tissue Culture
- Protein Engineering
- Technopreneurship IV
- Pharmaceutical Biotechnology
- Food Biotechnology
- Environmental Biotechnology
- Capstone Design Project
- Biosafety, Ethics and Regulation
- Biotechnology Quality Assurance and Control
- Medical Biotechnology
A graduate from the Biotechnology Programme can secure employment as or in the following fields:
- Research and Development;
- Biotechnologist, Research Scientist, Biofuel Specialist, Agriculture Crop Specialist, Specialist Consultant;
- Biotechnology Innovative Hub;
- Bio-Business Development Advisor, Bio-Enterprise Development Specialist;
- Enzymatic Engineer, Biochemical Development Engineer, Bioprocessing Specialist;
- Clinical Research;
- Clinical Researcher, Clinical Project Manager, Clinical Laboratory Specialist;
- Quality Control / Assurance;
- Quality Control Specialist, Biosafety Officer, Documentation Coordinator, Quality Assurance Specialist;
- Biostrategy Consultant;
- Science Communications, Science Information Writer, Healthcare Communications Specialist;
- Marketing / Sales;
- Biotechnology Sales Representative, Medical Sales Representative
- Bioethics, Bioinformatics, Genetic Counselling, Regulatory Affairs, Intellectual Property, Forensic DNA Analyst.