Academic Profile For: Dr. Nyikahadzoyi
- PhD (UWC-South Africa)
- M.Sc (Operations Research) (NUST)
- M.Sc (Maths Ed) (UZ)
- Bed (Maths) (UZ)
- Cert in ED (UZ)
- Executive Certificate in Project Management, Monitoring and Evaluation (CUZ-ZIM)
- AUCB (South Africa)
Phone: +263 774139391
Areas of Specialisation
- Primary Mathematics Education
- Secondary Operations Research
Record of publications in the last 10 years
ARTICLES IN PEERED REVIEWED JOURNALS/PROCEEDINGS
Title & Authors: Journal/Proceedings Name
- Nyikahadzoyi M. R. (1995). Fostering positive attitudes towards college mathematics and mathematics teaching. Zimbabwe Journal of Educational Research, 9(4), 37 – 44.
- Nyikahadzoyi M. R. (2007). Continuity and progression in Science curricula from primary school to the secondary school in Masvingo Province. Zimbabwe Journal of Educational Research, 19 (1), 17 – 24.
- Pagaga C; Nyikahadzoyi M. R. Chagwiza C (2013). The gap between the intended and the implemented Mathematics curricum in Bindura Urban High schools International Journal of Science and Mathematics Education Vol 11 No 6 : ISSN 1571-0068.
- Nyikahadzoyi M. R., Mapuwei T., Chinyoka M. (2013).Some Cognitive Obstacles faced by “A” level Mathematics Students in Understanding Inequalities: A case Study of Bindura urban High Schools. International Journal of Academic Research in Progressive Education and Development. Vol 2 No 2.
- Nyikahadzoyi M. R. (2015).A theoretical framework for understanding teachers’ knowledge of the concept of a function.International Journal of Science and Mathematics Education. Volume 13 Supplement 2: ISSN 1571-0068
NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCES
Title & Authors & Conference
- Nyikahadzoyi, R (2012) Demystifying Mathematics and Science. Paper presented at the First National Conference of Science and Mathematics Teachers. Bindura University of Science Education. 18-19August 2012.
- Nyikahadzoyi M.R. (2014). How smart are the SMART objectives. A paper presented at the 2nd National Science and Mathematics Teachers’ Conference 15-18 August 2014
Nyikahadzoyi M.R.(2015). Re-engineering school mathematics for sustainable socio-economic development. Paper presented at the RESEARCH & INTELLECTUAL OUTPUTS EXPO in Bulawayo 2-4 September 2015
- Nyikahadzoyi M.R. (2008). A comparative analysis of the use of first and second language in Mathematics instruction in Mozambique and Zimbabwe: the case of a Zimbabwean primary school. A paper presented at 16th Conference of the Southern Africa Association for Research in Mathematics Science and Technology Education. Maseru, Lesotho, 14-17 January, 2008.
- Nyikahadzoyi M.R (2015) Professional development of STEM teachers at Bindura University of Science Education. A paper presented at the 2nd Ministry of Primary and Secondary Education Innovation and Opportunities Conference from 16 to 18. September. Harare
- Nyikahadzoyi M. R. (2017) The Nature of STEM teachers’ Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge. .A paper presented at the 3rd Ministry of Primary and Secondary Education Conference and Expo from 27-31. September. Harare
- Nyikahadzoyi M. R. (2017). Best practices for averting the creativity crisis. A paper presented at the 3rd International Science and Mathematics Educators Conference on 31 August-1 September 2017. Bindura Zimbabwe
- Nyikahadzoyi M.R. (2017). “In-service science and Mathematics teachers’ dilemmas in implementing the Project Based Learning teaching approach. A paper presented at the Distance Education and Teachers’ Training in Africa 2017 (DETA 2017) Conference, from 22-25 August 2017 at the University of Rwanda- College of Education, Kigali, RWANDA
CONTRIBUTION IN BOOKS, CHAPTERS IN BOOKS ECT.
Title & Authors Book & ISBN
Nyikahadzoyi M. R. Mtetwa D.K. Kwari R. (2008). Mathematics Teacher Education in Zimbabwe. pp 160-183 In Willey Mwakapenda, Mercy Kazima and Jill Adler (Eds Mathematics Teacher Education across Twelve African Countries Marang Centre for Mathematics and Science: University of Witwatersrand
Nyikahadzoyi M. R. Mtetwa D.J.; Julie C., Torkildsen O.E. (2008). Prospective “A” Level Mathematics teachers’ perspectives of the concept of a function. pp 107-131
In Cyril Julie and Oyvind Mikalsen (Eds) Some Developments in Research in Science and Mathematics in Sub-Saharan Africa. African Minds. Somerset West. South Africa. ISBN 978-1-920299-29-3
List of key research projects undertaken or coordinated for the last 10 years, starting with the most recent:
- Dahwa J; Madondo,M.M; Masango, R.B;. Munjanganja; E.L; , Ndlovu,L. Nyikahadzoyi. M.R. (2015). Narative report on the Primary and Secondary School Curriculum review . Ministry of primary and Secondary Education. Gov of Zimbabwe. 2015
- Dahwa J; Madondo,M.M; Masango, R.B;. Munjanganja; E.L; , Ndlovu,L. Nyikahadzoyi. M.R. (2015). Zimbabwe Framework for Primary and Secondary Education 2015-2022. Ministry of Primary and Secondary Education.Gov of Zimbabwe. 2015
- Programme coordinator for the Zimbabwe Science and Mathematics Teacher Capacity Development Programme. June 2014-Dec 2017
Record of postgraduate student supervision for the last 10 years, starting with the most recent:
Title or Student Role Main/Co Supervisor
- Current-PhD-Zimbabwean Teachers’ espoused and enacted knowledge for teaching ‘O’- Level Integrated Science – Dziva.D – Co-supervisor
- Current-PhD – Meeting the needs of gifted High School Mathematics students – Mareverwa V – Main Supervisor
- Current MSc Teacher perceptions of project-based learning .A case study of teachers at Nyava high school in Bindura district -Chamunorwiara T. – Supervisor
- 2017 MSc- Form 2 learners’ (mis)conceptions of a function – Josephine Mangezi – Supervisor
- 2017 MSC Teacher use of IKS when teaching “O” Level Geometry- Motsi T- Supervisor
- 2017- MSc Relationship between gender, attribution of success and student achievement in “O” Level Mathematics -Hungwe J. -Supervisor
- 2016 MSc Cognitive obstacles faced by ‘A’ level mathematics students when learning partial fractions- Jombo T – Supervisor
- 2016 MSc-Challenges Faced by Teachers in Integrating ICT in the Teaching and Learning of Mathematics- Zhwawo J.- Supervisor.
- 2015 MSc Addressing Mathematics anxiety in secondary school learners-Hamamunda H –Supervisor
- 2015 MSc Teachers’ perspectives on STEM curriculum: A case study for four Zaka secondary schools -Hapana B. – Supervisor
Other Academic related experiences/achievements
- Competitive grant application US$2500 –Research Board BUSE 2013
- Erasmus Mundus mobilty scholarship 2500 euros 2015
- Chairperson of the Southern African Association For Research In Mathematics, Science And Technology Education (SAARMSTE) – Zimbabwe Chapter
Research Areas of interest
- Mathematics Teacher Knowledge
- Continuous Teacher professional Development
- Assessment in mathematics education
- Curriculum Implementation