Dr Ishmael Mugari
Email 1: email@example.com
Email 2: firstname.lastname@example.org
- D Tech in Policing (TUT, RSA)
- M Tech in Policing (TUT, RSA)
- Bsc in Police and Security Studies (BUSE)
Criminology, Commercial Crime, Criminal Intelligence Analysis, National Security Analysis and Contemporary Policing
Criminology, Police Accountability, Police Strategy and National Security Issues
- Mugari, I & Olutola A.A. In search for the best police oversight mechanism for Zimbabwe: The imperative for an independent police complaints board. Journal of Applied Security Research.
- Mugari, I., & Obioha E.E. 2022. Curtailing police discretionary powers. Civil action against the police in Zimbabwe. Cogent Social Sciences, 8 (1).
- Mugari, I, & Obioha E.E. COVID-19 and the restrictive measures. The national security conundrum for Zimbabwe. African Security Review.
- Mugari, I., & Olutola, A. A. Electronic card payment risks: Combating card fraud amidst liquidity crisis in Zimbabwe. African Journal of Business and Economic Research 16 (3): 321-338.
- Mugari, I., & Obioha E.E. Predictive Policing and Crime Control in the United States of America and Europe: Trends in a decade of Research and the Future of Predictive Policing. Social Sciences (MDPI), 10 (6).
- Mugari, I., & Obioha, E.E. African beliefs and citizens’ predisposition towards covid-19 vaccines: The belief guided choices. African Journal of Governance and Development, 10 (1.1): 277-293.
- Mugari, I., & Obioha, E. E. Covid-19 vaccine rollout and human rights ramifications in Africa: Balancing the onus to protect the right to health and the freedom of conscience in Zimbabwe and South Africa. African Journal of Development Studies.
- Mugari, I., & Muzinda, C. Social media: The double edged sword for perpetuating and preventing criminal activities in Zimbabwe. Safer Communities (Emerald).
- Mugari, I., & Obioha E.E. 2021. The criminal justice response to human trafficking: Exploring the investigative and prosecutorial hurdles. Journal of Arts and Social Sciences (ADRRI), 17 (9), 96-111.
- Mugari, I., & Obioha E.E. 2021. Trends, precipitating factors and control of human trafficking in South Africa and Zimbabwe. Open Journal for Anthropological Studies, 5 (1): 37-48.
- Mugari, I. Civilian Police Oversight: A contemporary review of police oversight mechanisms in Europe, Australia and Africa. Journal of Applied Security Research.
- Mbewu, I., Obioha, E.E, & Mugari, I. (2021). Encouraging and discouraging factors to crime reporting in South Africa: A survey of residents’ crime reporting behaviour in Mthatha South African Police service Precinct. Cogent Social Sciences, 7 (1).
- Mbewu, I., Obioha, E.E., & Mugari, I. (2021). Consequences of citizens’ non-reporting of crime to the police. A survey of Mthatha Policing Precinct, South Africa. European Journal of Economics, Law and Social Sciences, 5 (3): 453-463.
- Dlakulu, A., Mugari, I & Obioha, E. Citizens’ perceptions on the role of court sentencing in crime control: A survey of Mthatha High Court Juridical area in South Africa. International Journal of Criminology and Sociology, 10: 1624-1630.
- Mugari, I. & Chisuvi, R. Social media and national security in Zimbabwe: Embracing social media for national security and addressing social media threats. African Security Review. https://doi.org/10.1080/1024629.2020.1857806.
- Mugari, I. 2020. The dark side of social media in Zimbabwe: Unpacking the legal framework conundrum. Cogent Social Sciences, 6(1), 1-15 http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/23311886.2020.1825058.
- Mugari, I. Evaluations of selected civilian oversight institutions for police accountability in the Republic of Zimbabwe. Police Practice and Research https://doi.org/10.1080/15614263.2020.1831921.
- Mugari, I & Olutola, A.A. 2019. The Human Rights Commission and Police Oversight in Zimbabwe. Acta Criminologica: African Journal of Criminology & Victimology 32(1)/2019, 119-140
- Mugari, I & Olutola, A. A. 2018. The efficacy of civic society and media in holding the Zimbabwe police to account, Journal of African Foreign Affairs (JoAFA), Vol 5, pp 67-89
- Mugari I & Obioha E.E. 2018. Patterns, Costs, and Implications of Police Abuse to Citizens’ Rights in the Republic of Zimbabwe, Social Sciences (MDPI) 7 (116). doi:10.3390/socsci7070116.
- Mugari, I & Obioha E.E. Perspectives about execution of powers and functions by the Zimbabwe Republic Police. Corvinus Journal of Sociology and Social Policy vol.9 (1): 127-149. Doi: 10.14267/cjssp.2018.1.06.
- Mugari, I. & Thabana, N. Foot patrols and crime prevention in Harare Central Business District: Police officers’ perspectives. Crime Prevention and Community Safety, Springer.
- Mugari I. Cyberspace Enhanced Payment Systems in the Zimbabwean Retail Sector: Opportunities and Threats. International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Vol 7 (3), 760-767.
- Mugari I. & Olutola A. A. 2017. Perceptions Towards the Effectiveness of the Internal Affairs Model for Investigating Police Misconduct in the Republic of Zimbabwe. American Journal of Academic Research, Vol 2 (2), 46-68.
- Mugari I. and Olutola A. A. The Role of the Court and the Constitution on Police Oversight in Zimbabwe: Prospects and Challenges. Journal of Economics and Public Finance, Vol 3 (2), 272-286.
- Mugari I., Gona S., Maunga M., & Chiyambiro, R. Cybercrime- The Emerging Threat to the Financial Services Sector in Zimbabwe. Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences, Vol 7 (3), 135-143.
- Mugari I, Gombarume F.B., & Gona S. 2016. Police- Public Encounters, the Inevitability of use of Force. The International Journal of Humanities and Social Studies, Vol 4(1), 174-178.
- Maunga M., Mugari I. 2015 & Tundu M. Perspectives on Vigilantism in the Republic of Zimbabwe. Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences, Vol 6 (5), 323-334.
- Mugari I., Maunga M., & Tiki C. 2015 Embracing Intelligence – Led Policing in the Republic of Zimbabwe. International Journal of Innovative Research and Development, Vol 4(2), 87-94.
- Gona S, Mugari I., & Zondayi M. 2014. Curbing Reoffending through Correctional Programmes. International Journal of Innovative Research and Development, Vol 3 (13).
Mugari, I. 2021. An Introduction to Criminological Theory, Penology and Crime Prevention. Nova Science Publishers: New York. (ISBN: 978-1-61324-111-0).
- Mugari, I. 2022. Trends, precipitating factors and control of gun-related violence and suicide in Zimbabwe. In W.C Wallace (ed). Guns, gun violence and gun homicides, Palgrave. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-84518-6_11.
- Mugari, I. 2021. “Holding the police to account: The legal framework for police accountability in Zimbabwe”, in Advancing Civil Justice Reform and Conflict Resolution in Africa and Asia, IGI Global. DOI: 10.4018/978-1-7898-8.ch004.
- Mugari I. 2018. Rethinking the models of police oversight: Towards a new paradigm. In A. Farazmand (ed.), Global Encyclopaedia of Public Administration, Public Policy, and Governance, Springer International Publishing AG, https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-31816-5_3631-1
International Conference Papers
- Mugari, I & Olutola A.A. 2019. The Threat of transnational Organised Crime in Southern Africa and the Role of Interpol. Paper presented to the 10th International Conference on Social Sciences, 3- 5 September, 2019, Vanderbijlpark, South Africa.
- Mugari, I & Olutola A. A. 2017. Holding the Police to Account: The Role of Parliamentary Oversight. Paper Presented to the 3rd International Conference on Advances in Education and Social Sciences, 9- 11 October 2017, Istanbul, Turkey.