Dr Ishmael Mugari
- D Tech in Policing (TUT, RSA)
- M Tech in Policing (TUT, RSA)
- Bsc in Police and Security Studies (BUSE)
Criminology, Commercial Crime, Criminal Intelligence Analysis, National Security Analysis and Contemporary Policing
Criminology, Police Accountability, Police Strategy and National Security Issues
- Obioha E.E & Ishmael Mugari. 2022. Policing COVID-19 restrictive regulations in Zimbabwe: The shifting crime trends and human rights implications. African Security Review, 31 (4): 415-428.
- Mabetshe, N., Obioha, E.E., Mugari, I., & Cishe, E.N. Prevention of Child Sexual Abuse in South Africa: Assessing the role of parents, community leaders, educators and social workers. Dignity: A Journal of Analysis of Exploitation and Violence, 7 (4): 1-15.
- Mugari, I & Olutola A.A. In search for the best police oversight mechanism for Zimbabwe: The imperative for an independent police complaints board. Journal of Applied Security Research.
- Mugari, I., & Obioha E.E. 2022. Curtailing police discretionary powers. Civil action against the police in Zimbabwe. Cogent Social Sciences, 8 (1).
- Baleni, X., Obioha, E.E., & Mugari, I. Profiling water insecurity and its impacts on agricultural practices and rural livelihoods in the Eastern Cape Province of South Africa. African Journal of Development Studies, 12 (3): 5-25.
- Mugari, I, & Obioha E.E. COVID-19 and the restrictive measures. The national security conundrum for Zimbabwe. African Security Review.
- Mugari, I., & Olutola, A. A. Electronic card payment risks: Combating card fraud amidst liquidity crisis in Zimbabwe. African Journal of Business and Economic Research 16 (3): 321-338.
- Mugari, I., & Obioha E.E. Predictive Policing and Crime Control in the United States of America and Europe: Trends in a decade of Research and the Future of Predictive Policing. Social Sciences (MDPI), 10 (6).
- Mugari, I., & Obioha, E.E. African beliefs and citizens’ predisposition towards covid-19 vaccines: The belief guided choices. African Journal of Governance and Development, 10 (1.1): 277-293.
- Mugari, I., & Obioha, E. E. Covid-19 vaccine rollout and human rights ramifications in Africa: Balancing the onus to protect the right to health and the freedom of conscience in Zimbabwe and South Africa. African Journal of Development Studies.
- Mugari, I., & Muzinda, C. Social media: The double edged sword for perpetuating and preventing criminal activities in Zimbabwe. Safer Communities (Emerald).
- Mugari, I., & Obioha E.E. 2021. The criminal justice response to human trafficking: Exploring the investigative and prosecutorial hurdles. Journal of Arts and Social Sciences (ADRRI), 17 (9), 96-111.
- Mugari, I., & Obioha E.E. 2021. Trends, precipitating factors and control of human trafficking in South Africa and Zimbabwe. Open Journal for Anthropological Studies, 5 (1): 37-48.
- Mugari, I. Civilian Police Oversight: A contemporary review of police oversight mechanisms in Europe, Australia and Africa. Journal of Applied Security Research.
- Mbewu, I., Obioha, E.E, & Mugari, I. (2021). Encouraging and discouraging factors to crime reporting in South Africa: A survey of residents’ crime reporting behaviour in Mthatha South African Police service Precinct. Cogent Social Sciences, 7 (1).
- Mbewu, I., Obioha, E.E., & Mugari, I. (2021). Consequences of citizens’ non-reporting of crime to the police. A survey of Mthatha Policing Precinct, South Africa. European Journal of Economics, Law and Social Sciences, 5 (3): 453-463.
- Dlakulu, A., Mugari, I & Obioha, E. Citizens’ perceptions on the role of court sentencing in crime control: A survey of Mthatha High Court Juridical area in South Africa. International Journal of Criminology and Sociology, 10: 1624-1630.
- Mugari, I. & Chisuvi, R. Social media and national security in Zimbabwe: Embracing social media for national security and addressing social media threats. African Security Review. https://doi.org/10.1080/1024629.2020.1857806.
- Mugari, I. 2020. The dark side of social media in Zimbabwe: Unpacking the legal framework conundrum. Cogent Social Sciences, 6(1), 1-15 http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/23311886.2020.1825058.
- Mugari, I. Evaluations of selected civilian oversight institutions for police accountability in the Republic of Zimbabwe. Police Practice and Research https://doi.org/10.1080/15614263.2020.1831921.
- Mugari, I & Olutola, A.A. 2019. The Human Rights Commission and Police Oversight in Zimbabwe. Acta Criminologica: African Journal of Criminology & Victimology 32(1)/2019, 119-140
- Mugari, I & Olutola, A. A. 2018. The efficacy of civic society and media in holding the Zimbabwe police to account, Journal of African Foreign Affairs (JoAFA), Vol 5, pp 67-89
- Mugari I & Obioha E.E. 2018. Patterns, Costs, and Implications of Police Abuse to Citizens’ Rights in the Republic of Zimbabwe, Social Sciences (MDPI) 7 (116). doi:10.3390/socsci7070116.
- Mugari, I & Obioha E.E. Perspectives about execution of powers and functions by the Zimbabwe Republic Police. Corvinus Journal of Sociology and Social Policy vol.9 (1): 127-149. Doi: 10.14267/cjssp.2018.1.06.
- Mugari, I. & Thabana, N. Foot patrols and crime prevention in Harare Central Business District: Police officers’ perspectives. Crime Prevention and Community Safety, Springer.
- Mugari I. Cyberspace Enhanced Payment Systems in the Zimbabwean Retail Sector: Opportunities and Threats. International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Vol 7 (3), 760-767.
- Mugari I. & Olutola A. A. 2017. Perceptions Towards the Effectiveness of the Internal Affairs Model for Investigating Police Misconduct in the Republic of Zimbabwe. American Journal of Academic Research, Vol 2 (2), 46-68.
- Mugari I. and Olutola A. A. The Role of the Court and the Constitution on Police Oversight in Zimbabwe: Prospects and Challenges. Journal of Economics and Public Finance, Vol 3 (2), 272-286.
- Mugari I., Gona S., Maunga M., & Chiyambiro, R. Cybercrime- The Emerging Threat to the Financial Services Sector in Zimbabwe. Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences, Vol 7 (3), 135-143.
- Mugari I, Gombarume F.B., & Gona S. 2016. Police- Public Encounters, the Inevitability of use of Force. The International Journal of Humanities and Social Studies, Vol 4(1), 174-178.
- Maunga M., Mugari I. 2015 & Tundu M. Perspectives on Vigilantism in the Republic of Zimbabwe. Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences, Vol 6 (5), 323-334.
- Mugari I., Maunga M., & Tiki C. 2015 Embracing Intelligence – Led Policing in the Republic of Zimbabwe. International Journal of Innovative Research and Development, Vol 4(2), 87-94.
- Gona S, Mugari I., & Zondayi M. 2014. Curbing Reoffending through Correctional Programmes. International Journal of Innovative Research and Development, Vol 3 (13).
Mugari, I. 2021. An Introduction to Criminological Theory, Penology and Crime Prevention. Nova Science Publishers: New York. (ISBN: 978-1-61324-111-0).
- Mugari, I. 2022. Trends, precipitating factors and control of gun-related violence and suicide in Zimbabwe. In W.C Wallace (ed). Guns, gun violence and gun homicides. Perspectives from the Caribbean, Global South and beyond: Switzerland: Palgrave Macmillan. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-84518-6_11.
- Mugari, I. 2021. “Holding the police to account: The legal framework for police accountability in Zimbabwe”, in Advancing Civil Justice Reform and Conflict Resolution in Africa and Asia, IGI Global. DOI: 10.4018/978-1-7898-8.ch004.
- Mugari I. 2018. Rethinking the models of police oversight: Towards a new paradigm. In A. Farazmand (ed.), Global Encyclopaedia of Public Administration, Public Policy, and Governance, Springer International Publishing AG, https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-31816-5_3631-1
International Conference Papers
- Mugari, I & Olutola A.A. 2019. The Threat of transnational Organised Crime in Southern Africa and the Role of Interpol. Paper presented to the 10th International Conference on Social Sciences, 3- 5 September, 2019, Vanderbijlpark, South Africa.
- Mugari, I & Olutola A. A. 2017. Holding the Police to Account: The Role of Parliamentary Oversight. Paper Presented to the 3rd International Conference on Advances in Education and Social Sciences, 9- 11 October 2017, Istanbul, Turkey.
3 Mugari, I & Obioha E. 2021. Covid-19 vaccine rollout and human rights ramifications in Africa: Balancing the onus to protect the right to health and the freedom of conscience in Zimbabwe and South Africa. Paper Presented to the Havilah Glo International Online Conference on African States and the Scramble for the Covid-19 Vaccine. 30-31 March, 2021.
- Mugari, I & Obioha, E. 2021. African beliefs and citizens’ predisposition towards covid-19 vaccines: The belief guided choices. Paper Presented to the Havilah Glo International Online Conference on African States and the Scramble for the Covid-19 Vaccine. 30-31 March, 2021.