All applicants have to meet the following minimum requirements for admission prescribed under the general regulations (i.e.):
- Have obtained at least five Ordinary Level subject passes including English Language and Mathematics passed with a grade C or better.
- 2 ‘A’ level passes including one of the following Agriculture, Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Geography, Mathematics, Physics, Food Sciences, Environmental Science and Environmental Management or a relevant Diploma.
- SHEM graduates can be employed as safety and health officers, environmental managers, consultants, and researchers
- Graduates can also be employed in NGOs, government and industry as environmental analysts and in the manufacturing and engineering sectors.
- Graduates can still further their studies undertaking masters and PhD/Dphil studies in various environmental areas.