- Doctor of Philosophy in social studies (disability and public policy) University of Zimbabwe
- MSC Social Work University of Zimbabwe
- Bachelor of social work honours University of Zimbabwe
Position: Senior Lecturer
Phone: +263 712 518 130 or +263 773 402 632
Areas of Expertise
- Disability, empowerment and participation in public life
- Human rights, social justice, citizen participation and Public policy
- Social policy, poverty reduction, social development and social protection
- Rural development, livelihoods, rural industrialisation and sustainable agriculture for poverty reduction.
Thesis examination experience
- University of South Africa (Doctoral theses)
- University of Zululand (Doctoral theses)
- University of Kwa-Zulu Natal (Masters theses)
- Durban University of Technology (Masters and Doctoral theses)
- University of Limpopo (Doctoral theses)
Research and Publications
Published Articles in Refereed Journals
- Mtetwa E. (2010). The Place of Persons with Disabilities in Zimbabwean Society [International Journal of Social Sciences Volume 2, Number 5, pp (1-6)].
- Mtetwa E. (2010). Understanding the Plight of Persons with Disabilities in Zimbabwe and its Policy implications [International Journal of Humanities, Volume 2, Number 3, pp (115-123)].
- Mtetwa E. (2011). Cross-cutting issues: Disability and the Constitution Making Process for Zimbabwe. [The Indian Journal of Social Work, Volume 72, Issue 2 pp (93-112)].
- Mtetwa E. (2011). The Policy Dimensions of Exclusion: Disability as Charity and not Right in Zimbabwe. [The Indian Journal of Social Work, Volume 72, Issue 3, pp (381-398)].
- Mtetwa E. (2012). The Dilemma of Social Difference: Disability and Institutional Discrimination in Zimbabwe. Australian Journal of Human Rights. Volume 18 Number 1 (2012) pp (169-184).
- Mtetwa E. (2013). The Tenacity of Tradition: Disability and the New Constitution for Zimbabwe. Research Open Journal of Medical Sciences and Medicine. Volume 1, Number 1pp (1-11).
- Mtetwa E. (2013). The Ghost of Culture: The budget as an Instrument of Exclusion in Zimbabwe. The Indian Journal of social Work. Volume 74, Number 3 & 4) pp (411-431) July – Oct 2013.
- Mtetwa E. and Muchacha M. (2013). Towards A National Social Protection Policy: Knowledge and Lessons from a Comparative Analysis of the Design and Implementation of Public Assistance and Harmonized Social Cash Transfer Programmes in Zimbabwe. In the Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Mtetwa E. and Zinyemba L. (2013). Understanding Health Literacy: Health Policy and the Challenge of grassroots participation. Journal of Behavioral Sciences in Asia. (2013) Vol. 1 No. 3 pp 2-15.
- Mtetwa E., Dziro C. and Takaza S. (2013). Poverty and Rural Development; Tapping from grassroots. International Journal of Humanities and Social Science Invention. (2013) Vol. 2 Issue 5 pp 21-35.
- Mtetwa E. and Muridzo N. G. (2013). Analysis of the 2013 national budget statement and its implications for social work practice in Zimbabwe. Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences. Vol. 13, Issue 5, pp (1-6). (July – August 2013).
- Nyikahadzoi K., Chikwaiwa B. K. and Mtetwa E. (2013). Determinants of School attendance among Children with Disability in Zimbabwe and Implication on disability Policy. In Zimbabwe Journal of Education Research. Vol. 25, Issue 2, pp (167-182) July 2013.
- Mtetwa E. and Muchacha M. (2013). The price of professional silence: Social work and human rights in Zimbabwe. In African Journal of Social Work. Vol. 3 No. 1 pp (19-43) August 2013.
- Mtetwa E. and Nyikahadzoi K. (2014) Socioeconomic circumstances of children with disabilities in Zimbabwe: Implications for human and social capital development. Journal of Social Development in Africa. Volume 28, No. 2, pp (31-51).
- Dziro C., Mtetwa E., Mukamuri B., and Chikwaiwa B. K. (2013). Challenges faced by western-modeled residential care institutions in preparing the residents for meaningful re-integration into society: A case study of a Harare-based children’s home. Journal of Social Development in Africa. Volume 28, No. 2, pp (113-130).
- Muchacha M. and Mtetwa E. (2014). Social and Economic Barriers to Exclusive Breast Feeding in Rural Zimbabwe. In International Journal of MCH and AIDS. Volume 3 Issue 1 pp(256-261)
- Muchacha M. and Mtetwa E. (2014). Beyond the Bio-Medical Orthodoxies: Socio-Economic and Attitudinal Impediments to Inclusive Breast Feeding in Rural Zimbabwe and Possible Roles of Social Workers and Interventions to Promotes its Uptake. In Journal of Social Work/MaastkaplikeWerk Vol. 51 (1) pp (63-79).
- Mtetwa E., Nyikahadzoi K., Matsika A.B., Shava N. and Chikwaiwa B. K. (2015). Perceived Risks of Social Media on children: The Case of Pupils from Four Selected Harare Schools. In Zimbabwe Child Monitor Women’s University Child Sensitive Social Policies pp 31-38.
- Muchacha M. and Mtetwa E. (2015). Dynamics of Child Sexual Abuse in Zimbabwe: Towards A Socio Ecological of Prevention. In the Journal of Social Work Practitioner – Researcher. Vol 27 (1), pp 118-136.
- Mtetwa E. and Ruparanganda W. (2016). Disability and the quest for bureaucratic representation in Zimbabwe. The Indian Journal of Social Work Volume 77, Issue 1, pp 33-46.
- Muchacha M., Dziro C. and Mtetwa E. (2016). The Implications of neoliberalism for the care of orphans in Zimbabwe: Challenges and Opportunities for Social Work Practice. Aotearoa New Zealand Social Work, Vol. 28, Number 2, pp 84-93.
- Mtetwa E. (2016). Implementation of Appropriate Minimum Body of Knowledge in Training and Practice of Social Work in Zimbabwe. In African Journal of Social Work. Volume 6, No. 1 (42-50).
- Mtetwa E. 2017. Disability at the crossroads: The culture of exclusion and the 2013 constitution for Zimbabwe. Journal of Social Development in Africa, Vol 31, No 2): Pp 25 – 48.
- Mtetwa E. (2018). Rural Social Security for Zimbabwe: Challenges and Opportunities for State and Non-State Actors. Journal of Social Development in Africa, Vol 33 No, 1.
- Mtetwa E. (2018). Corruption, Institutional Decay and Social Capital: The Case of Zimbabwe Republic Police. Review of Human Factor Studies, Volume 24 No.1: 66-80.
- Mtetwa E. (2018). Disability and the challenge of Unemployment in Zimbabwe: a Social Protection Perspective. African Journal of Social Work. Vol8 No.2: 78-84.
- Mtetwa E. and Nianga G. (2018). The effects of depressed prices of cotton on sustainable livelihoods for communal farmers in Zimbabwe: the case of ward 6, Gokwe South District. Journal of Gleanings from Academic Outliers. Vol7No.1 pages 25-40. International Institute for Human Factor development.
- Mtetwa E. (2019).Participation of Youths With Disabilities in Civil Society Structures and Programmes in Zimbabwe: The role of mainstream civil society organisations. Journal of Social Development in Africa, Vol 34, No.1. . Midlands State University, School of Social Work.
- Mugumbate J. and Mtetwa E. (2020). Reframing Social Research for Africa’s Consumers of Research Products: A Guiding Tool. In: African Journal of Social Work (vol.9No.2 Pp 52-58).
- Mtetwa E. (2015). The quest for political participation of youths with disabilities in Zimbabwe: the role of mainstream civil society organizations. Disability Rights in Africa: 3-4 November 2015, University of Pretoria Centre for Human Rights.
- Mtetwa E. (2016). Moving the mountains: Social Work practice in defense of human rights and social justice in Africa: Global Poverty Conference: 7-10 June 2016: Millasville University (USA).
- Mtetwa E. (2016). Fields of Social Work Practice in Zimbabwe. Conference on unlocking the potential for social workers’ sensitization workshop held on 16 September 2016 atCresta Oasis hotel, Harare: Zimbabwe.
- Mtetwa E. (2017). Poverty as Powerlessness in Contemporary Disability Studies. Southern Africa Social Protection Network (3-4 October 2016) Protea, Parktonian Hotel: Braamforntein Johannesburg South Africa.
- Mtetwa E. (2017). Disability and the Challenge of Unemployment in Zimbabwe: A Social Protection Perspective. Southern African Social Protection Experts Network Conference (3-4 May 2017) ProteaParktonian Hotel, Braamforntein Johannesburg: South Africa.
- Mtetwa E. (2017). Disability, Citizenship and Participation in Africa: (16-18 August 2017) Harare: University of Zimbabwe.
- Mtetwa E. (2017). The role of non-state actors in Zimbabwe’s development. Context Analysis of the Social, Political, Economic And Environmental Situation Symposium: (organized by Action Aid), (11 April 2017) Bronte Hotel, Harare, Zimbabwe.
- Mtetwa E. (2017). Promoting a sustainable social policy framework for poverty reduction in Zimbabwe. Council for Social Workers Zimbabwe: Annual Conference (17-18 March 2017), Bindura University, Zimbabwe.
- Mtetwa E. and Nianga G. (2017). An investigation into the effects of depressed prices of cotton on sustainable livelihood for communal farmers in Zimbabwe. The case of Ward 6, Gokwe South District. Social Work Conference: 25-27 June 2017) Livingston, Zambia.
- Mtetwa E. (2017). Social Work Education for Social Justice and Poverty Reduction in Africa. 08-11 October 2017 Oliver Tambo international Conference Centre: Birchwood Hotel, Bocksburg: Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Mtetwa E. (2018). Disability and the challenge of Equality before the Law in Zimbabwe. Harare: Council of Social Workers Annual Conference, University of Zimbabwe. 11 April 2018.
- Mtetwa E. (2018). Rethinking Social Security: the case for Zimbabwe. Harare: Council of Social Workers Symposium: University of Zimbabwe. 24 August 2018
- Mtetwa E. (2019). Persons with Disabilities as Peace Actors. A paper presented at a Workshop on Dialogue Processes for Persons with Disabilities In Zimbabwe. Organised by deaf Zimbabwe trust in collaboration with the office of the president and cabinet. Harare: jacaranda room 1, rainbow towers hotel: 4 and 5 July 2019.
- Mtetwa E. (2019). Crafting the national disability policy under the guidance of the United Nations convention on the rights of persons with disabilities. Challenges and opportunities for Zimbabwe. a paper presented at, the national disability expo, 31 July to 2 august 2019, large city hall: Bulawayo
- Mtetwa E. (2019). The Coping Strategies Employed by Rural Peasants in the Face of Climate Change and Variability in Zimbabwe: The Case of Mberengwa District. Social Protection and Climate Change in the SADC: 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. 14-15 August 2019, ProteaParktonian all Suit Hotel: Braamfontein, Johannesburg.
Chapter(s) published in a Book
- Mtetwa E. And Mundau M. (2017). Rural poverty in Zimbabwe.
- Hlatywayo L. Mtetwa E. and Chataika T. (Editors) (2020). Breaking Down Barriers to Inclusive Learning in Zimbabwe: A student Teacher Handbook. Harare: Ministry of Higher and Tertiary Education in partnership with Leonard Cheshire Disability Zimbabwe.
- Mtetwa E. Trading the Hard Road: Social Work Ethics and the Politicization of Food Distribution in Zimbabwe. The Handbook of Social Work Ethics. London: Routledge.
- Mtetwa E. (2020). SOCIAL WORK EDUCATION FOR SOCIAL JUSTICE AND POVERTY REDUCTION IN AFRICA. Handbook of Social Work Education. London: Routledge.
- Mtetwa E. and Muchacha M. (2017). Decolonizing childcare practice in rural Zimbabwe: embracing local cultures in Gray M. (Editor). (2017). The Handbook of Social Work and Social Development in Africa. London: Routledge).
- Mtetwa E. and Ruparanganda L. (2015). Social Policy and Legislation in Zimbabwe in Social Work Conversion Examination Modules. Council of Social Workers. Harare: Council of social Workers
- Mugumbate J. and Mtetwa E. (2014) ‘People with disabilities in Zimbabwe’ in Nyanguru A. c. and Nyoni C. Editors. Promoting Social Work for Zimbabwe’s Development. Bindura, Bindura University Press.
- Mtetwa E. (2014) ‘Disability Policy and Practice in Zimbabwe’ in Mugumbate J., Dodo O., Maushe F., Ruparanganda L., Zembere M., Makwerere D., Ngwerume E. and Mtetwa E. (Eds) Development Policy and Practice: Making use of Population Census Data in Zimbabwe. Harare, IDA Publishers.