The Dean of Students is a four year contract position and the Dean is part of the University management team. The Dean of Students responds to students’ needs at the University and plans programs for campus and off campus life. The Dean of Students will also work with different departments, stay up to date on relevant student resources and work directly with students.
Qualifications and Experience
The applicant must be a holder of at least a Masters’ Degree in any Social Sciences or related area. Possession of an earned Doctoral Degree will be an added advantage. Applicants must have at least ten (10) years working experience at similar management capacity preferably in the University set up. The ideal candidate should have passion and genuine interest in dealing with young adults or mature students and should demonstrate knowledge of the Ordinance that govern students’ conduct, welfare and discipline in a university setting.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The Dean of Students shall report to the Accounting Officer (Vice Chancellor) and be responsible for:-
- Planning and directing University activities related to student service and campus life;
- Coordinating admissions, health services, financial aid, housing and social programmes for students,
- Serving as a point of information for students and responding to students’ needs,
- Overseeing the general welfare of University students,
- Developing policies, programmes and services that keep students gainfully occupied after lectures and enabling them to cope effectively with University life,
- Providing for effective channels of communication among students, staff and University Management,
- Coordinating Student Affairs Units responsible for counselling, sports, religious interests, services for disabled students, disciplinary issues, security, health and other related matters,
- Ensuring that students residences on and off campus are decent and conducive for quality student life,
- Putting in place effective systems which help to develop a complete student who is intellectually, socially and morally upright and proud to be Zimbabwean and
- Nurturing positive behaviours which project good image of students as lifelong ambassadors for the University,
Minimum essential skills required
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Ability to manage and lead a team of individuals;
- Excellent written and communication skills;
- Good negotiator;
- Sound analytical skills and
- Excellent organisational and time management skills and ability to work independently and prioritise workloads.
Six (6) copies of the following: application letter, certified copies of Educational certificates, National ID, Birth Certificate and CVs giving full personal particulars including full name, place and date of birth, qualifications, previous employment and experience, telephone number, email address, names and addresses of three referees including email addresses.
Applications should clearly indicate the “Post” which is being applied for and submitted to:
Bindura University of Science Education
P Bag 1020
Only shortlisted candidates will be responded to. For more information phone (0271) 7531-2, 7622, 7623, 0772 154 882-9.
“Promoting Science for Human Development”